2020 Wake 170 - steering stiff

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

donc514

New to me last year - I found that the steering is quite a bit stiffer than my 2013, GTI 130. I haven’t yet found a thread related to this in this forum. But on a performance site, the higher power models owners seem to recognize that the steering in this model year was all plastic - and not made very well so they were swapping it out to a performance, part metal steering ‘hub’ assembly.

Next weekend- I plan to release the steering cable at the steering hub assembly and retest, but I’m not optimistic that I will find it is related to the cable.

Given I find the same feel after the steering cable is released Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make this 2020 wake feel more like my 2013 GTI from a steering/smoothness perspective?

Appreciate any thoughts

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• IMG_6217.jpeg
    IMG_6217.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 11
Don
My 23 gtr is going back to dealer this week for stiff steering. It made a pop and now won’t turn as far to the right.

Don
My 23 gtr is going back to dealer this week for stiff steering. It made a pop and now won’t turn as far to the right.
Yours is likely still under warranty…mine is not. Hope you get yours addressed. It seems we are far from alone with this issue… after visiting a local dealer near the lake he said the 2011(possibly as far as up to 2018) model years. Is totally different design. And it is ‘normal’ to feel a persistent ‘draging’ feeling to the steering - according to The Dealer …he advised me to remove the steering column and clean the old lithium grease (there was some evidence of a factory layer of that at least on the white lower spacer) off the plastic rings - upper and lower…I put a generous amount of marine grease and re-assembled and thing seem much better.

I’d be willing to bet the upper plastic ring that I greased is what probably came loose/broke on your GTR… cheap plastic parts!!
So I’m guessing I’m going to have to do the same grease procedure every year or two.

Best of luck!
Don

Yours is likely still under warranty…mine is not. Hope you get yours addressed. It seems we are far from alone with this issue… after visiting a local dealer near the lake he said the 2011(possibly as far as up to 2018) model years. Is totally different design. And it is ‘normal’ to feel a persistent ‘draging’ feeling to the steering - according to The Dealer …he advised me to remove the steering column and clean the old lithium grease (there was some evidence of a factory layer of that at least on the white lower spacer) off the plastic rings - upper and lower…I put a generous amount of marine grease and re-assembled and thing seem much better.

I’d be willing to bet the upper plastic ring that I greased is what probably came loose/broke on your GTR… cheap plastic parts!!
So I’m guessing I’m going to have to do the same grease procedure every year or two.

Best of luck!
Don
Definitely under warranty. I’ll let you know what they find.

Back