2008 RXT 215 - Water In Oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeozark80

We bought a used ski that had water in the oil. (took the engine apart. spun a bearing)

Here's my question: what causes the bearing to spin? Water in the oil? What would cause water in the oil? Oil cooler?

The intercooler is in the intake manifold on this ski.

Do I pressure test the oil cooler?

Probably the intercooler is leaking , spun bearings are from no lubrication due to water in the oil. You can pressure test the intercooler to be sure, very common when the ski is not wintered properly.

The intercooler I can get at a local dealer. The oil cooler I have to order.

Thanks!
Probably the intercooler is leaking , spun bearings are from no lubrication due to water in the oil. You can pressure test the intercooler to be sure, very common when the ski is not wintered properly.

Test the old intercooler to be sure, it could be the oil cooler but you would notice the coolant level going down. Basically if it spun a bearing from lack of lubrication then the engine is toast, you can get new ones from SBT , a rebuild won't be any cheaper. If you plan on doing the install yourself then a repair manual is necessary.

We just replaced the engine (bought it this way. Oil was like chocolate milk. Took it apart and found the spun bearing).

There was coolant and oil all over the bottom of the hull. Couldn't find any holes anywhere.

Trying to figure out why the bearing spun and fix it so it doesn't happen again.

Test the old intercooler to be sure, it could be the oil cooler but you would notice the coolant level going down. Basically if it spun a bearing from lack of lubrication then the engine is toast, you can get new ones from SBT , a rebuild won't be any cheaper. If you plan on doing the install yourself then a repair manual is necessary.

Oh , I see , yes test the intercooler. If you store out in freezing temps in the winter you should disconnect the hoses to the intercooler and blow it out before freeze up, lots of them are damaged this way. Water in the oil will spin bearings.

I blew into one side and put my thumb over the over. I didn't hear any hissing, and it didn't seem like any air was escaping.

I'm going to test the oil cooler today.

Oh , I see , yes test the intercooler. If you store out in freezing temps in the winter you should disconnect the hoses to the intercooler and blow it out before freeze up, lots of them are damaged this way. Water in the oil will spin bearings.

I blew into one side and put my thumb over the over. I didn't hear any hissing, and it didn't seem like any air was escaping.

I'm going to test the oil cooler today.
Well as a try this is not bad, but you can't make near the pressure required by blowing into it, you need at least 10 psi and a gauge to do it properly. Usually the plugs will be rusted also if water is getting into the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back