2004 Seadoo Model GTX 4TEC Oil pressure switches

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

keegster17

Guys I am going to start to get my unit ready for the summer, the problem I had last summer was that I would start the unit up and Oil light and beeping sound would come one. forgive me I am going on memory right now. I know there is a way to check for the code your unit produces to figure out the issue but my unit does not do this. after pulling the key and starting it it finally goes out of the beeping sound and limp mode, and works fine. I have heard many say it could be the oil pressure switches fail, I am willing to purchase the two required part numbers.. 420256885 and 420256777, if this could be the issue. Is this a good idea? Also where is a cheap place to buy the parts? and how hard is it to replace these two switches, is this something I could do my self?

I have an 04 gtx sc which is pretty much the same thing. I am having the exact same problems. I put the ski in today and it idled fine but mine beeps and flashes oil after i try to put any real power to it. I just ordered my sensors from joe at 410-335-5050. It was 60 for both with free shipping. He will also help guide you through locating the sensors if you need help. the first p# you listed is very easy to change with a wrench. it is located just below the fill cap for oil, on the front of the motor. the second is on the back of the motor. if you look up at the fuel rail and find the three wired connectors and follow them down, one of those connectors is the oil sensor. one is a temp sensor and the other i forget where it goes but if you follow them and have the new sensor you should be able to figure out which one is oil. I was told to get the code you put the key on and hold mode for 5 seconds, but it didnt work on mine. I even took it in the water and revved it to limp mode and then tried and it still didnt work. Good luck, if you find a solution other than changing the oil sensors please let me know.

Also, is yours super charged? if so it could be blockage in the oil pump from chunks of sc washer if they havent been switched to metal. just a thought. Good luck

Thanks Andrew for your tips. Keep me posted how it works out for you. I have gone online, and I know the location of the parts just wasn't sure how easy to change out, also wasn't sure if I have to do anything specifically when I disconnect them, wasn't sure if oil will leak out or not? not very mechanically inclined, maybe someone could answer those questions. The guy for the parts does he have a website?

press set 5 times and will give you active codes.

rear oil pressure switch is a little difficult to get to but can be changed with some patience, you can take the seat bridge off to gain a little more access but you don't need to take the intake manifold off, just a deep well socket with the right extension length. oil won't leak out.

I did a pretty extension explanation of this issue a couple years ago, do a search.

thanks for the response ski-d00, i did try press set 5 times but no luck, i am not sure it works for all units, but I appreciate the help on replacing the oil pressure switches. Maybe someone could mention now where to pick these up cheap? I am in Toronto Canada.

put your lanyard on, press set 5 times. it will either give you a code or say END which means no active current codes. to get the code, you have to do it when it happens, if you remove the lanyard, it will be lost until the fault occurs again. so, when the OIL warning comes up, press set 5 times and tell us the code, you can also keep pressing the set button and will continue through all active codes until is says END.

okay great, but I will have to wait for spring and put it in the water... to friggin cold here in Toronto, Canada. thanks for the tips.

I was able to go start mine and got the error code after a second. I pushed set 5x and all it said was end. But the alarm was still going off and the light was on as well. Could it just be that my oil is cold and not getting around the engine easily. The oil is full and i just changed it the end of last season.

I got the sensors changed. The second is located just under the intake manifold on the back of the motor. It is on the top side so no oil leaks when you change it. I haven't gotten to the water with it yet but I am hopeful that this solves my problems. Have you gotten the sensors yet? I found it easier to take the intake manifold off and just get in there to the sensor rather than try a deep socket and extension. There are about 10 screws to take out to take the intake off. It is pretty simple and if you find you need help I could write it out. Also I dont know if you have them but harbor freight tools carries the inverted torx sockets that are needed on this ski. Also I think he has a website but I think its against the rules on here to post it. He works for a shop in Maryland, US. I am sure he could get the parts to you, and if you go with him tell him that Andrew from North Carolina sent you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem was the rear oil pressure sensor. I changed them and tested individually. The pressure sensor that is under the intake manifold. Took the ski out today and it ran great.

Can someone confirm the two sensors I require to change out, i want to be certain I purchase the right ones. I mentioned part numbers 420256885 and 420256777, is this correct for 2004 Seadoo GTX 4TEC. Also can someone advise a good place to purchase these two parts. Thanks

Can someone confirm the two sensors I require to change out, i want to be certain I purchase the right ones. I mentioned part numbers 420256885 and 420256777, is this correct for 2004 Seadoo GTX 4TEC. Also can someone advise a good place to purchase these two parts. Thanks

The part no 420256885 is the front oil pressure switch (or high oil pressure switch) and it is correct for your boat. The rear has a few part numbers but I go by the visual method, the black one is for skis pre 2006 the grey one is for skis 2006+ one of them is NO while the other is NC (normally open / normally closed) my multimeter is in the truck and I'm lazy but here is a pic for your reference.

Left pic 06+ Right pic 05 and down. This make sense?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 63
No prob, I would buy these switched NEW and from a dealer, I just don't recommend buying used electrical parts off the ebay. I've spent hours tooling around only to learn that I bought a defective part used off the grey market. I keep these around because I help out a few guys with their 4tecs and theyre nice to have around for troubleshooting purposes.

Bay Marine in Trenton, they have been awesome to deal with for me. Aside from mortgage payments I've given them over the years. Their whole service staff is great, they get really, really busy but have always been awesome for me.

With you being in the city, I would recommend snow city cycle. Back when I was into the crotch rockets I would buy stuff from them and theyre parts counter is good.

changed the rear only Oil pressure switch, and this seems to have fixed the issue of limp mode. I bought the front sensor to, but figured I would change one out first to see confirm which one was the issue. Easy to change. thanks.

im getting the p0520 fault code (1 long beep every 15mins), does any one know which oil sensor is the likely cause?

im getting the p0520 fault code (1 long beep every 15mins), does any one know which oil sensor is the likely cause?

I understand you are looking for an answer, but please don't do multiple posts if the same request.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

sorry for that.....
i posted after searching....then i saw i was in pwc, i coudnt delete the post. so i re-posted in boats

sorry for that.....
i posted after searching....then i saw i was in pwc, i coudnt delete the post. so i re-posted in boats

No issue, no need to apologize.

What happens with identical duplicate posts is, people answer the question in both locations or only one location and many never get the answer as they lose track where to look.

If no one has posted to the other post I will delete it...

how do you disconnect the wire from ops sensor? trying to squeeze my fingers down in there to disconnect!!

The part no 420256885 is the front oil pressure switch (or high oil pressure switch) and it is correct for your boat. The rear has a few part numbers but I go by the visual method, the black one is for skis pre 2006 the grey one is for skis 2006+ one of them is NO while the other is NC (normally open / normally closed) my multimeter is in the truck and I'm lazy but here is a pic for your reference.

Left pic 06+ Right pic 05 and down. This make sense?

nice one, previous owner installed wrong sensor! who would know? thanks...
saw the picture compared it to mine, replaced with the 04, no more faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back