2004 Seadoo Islandia 240EFI 4 beeps?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeptemberC

While idling near the dock today my hubby got an alarm of 4 short beeps. Then he turned the engine off. We floated around for a while then took off again. After slowing down and idling again we got the 4 beeps again. . . I have searched all evening for what 4 beeps might be a warning for.

I did notice that the DESS key was not pressed in all of the way. After I pushed it in completely we did not hear the alarm go off again. Could it have been the DESS key??

It usually means the engine is off but key still clipped on. Maybe it is as you say and wasn't on properly.

It usually means the engine is off but key still clipped on. Maybe it is as you say and wasn't on properly.

You are absolutely right.

BUT..... Her boat doesn't have a DESS system.

Since you have the newer Merc engine... the "4 Beep" code can be low oil, or water in fuel. Either will give 4 beeps every 2 minutes.

BUT... since you shut off the engine, and it did it again... it could simply be low fuel. If it's less than 1/8 tank... you will get 4 beeps, but it won't do it again until you cycle the key. The reason it happened when you came down to idle... is that the boat sits nose high while riding around, and the gauge reads a little higher. When you come back to idle... the level will drop (especially when the fuel sloshes forward) and it will trip the low fuel alarm.

Since you have the newer engine... I would look into the basic Mercury smart craft gauge. (The info gauge) It will tell you what's wrong.

Thanks Doc. There was 3/4 of a tank of fuel maybe more. I even physically looked to make sure. I just filled the oil reservoir up 2 days ago in preparation for our trip to Norris Lake in Tennesee next week. After pushing the safety lanyard / engine shut-off switch in all of the way the alarm did not sound again and we were out for about another hour. Do you think there's anyway that it could have been that switch instead of oil or fuel?
One other thing I'd like to mention is I noticed a little more oil smoke yesterday. MAYBE it's just in my head because normally its me driving and yesterday hubby was driving and I was facing the rear so I could SEE it. It always smokes at start up but this I saw was after idling for a few minutes in a crowded area then we took off. The plugs are slightly oily but not soaked. What might cause it to burn more oil or possibly just be running rich?

On a 2-stroke... it will start to smoke again when you idle around. But, as long as it's "Tuned" properly (should since it's EFI) then it won't load up too bad. As long as it clears up again when you get a little heat in the engine... it's fine.

If you look close at this pic below... you will see smoke behind my boat. I had been idling around for 15~20 min. But, once I'm back on the throttle... it clears up.

227.jpg

YUP ... It clears up almost instantly after getting moving again. Thanks.
Hoping to go out again today. I'll report back if the alarm goes off again.

Ok so it WASNT the emergency shut off switch. That must have been a coincidence.
At idle speed I am getting 4 Beeps roughly every 2 minutes. Under way at speed I do not get the alarm. The large oil tank is slightly over half full. I know I have seen somewhere what the alarm beeps mean but I have searched the service manual and I can't seem to find it. We're headed to Tennessee on Friday morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 beeps every 2 minutes is low oil, or water in fuel.

So....

Make sure the header oil tank is full. (The main tank doesn't have a sensor) Oh... if your oil cap is lose... you won't refill the header. It's pressure driven.

AND...

Drain, or replace the big spin-on fuel filter. Personally, I would just replace it. Sometimes when they get wet inside... they are hard to drain totally.

4 beeps every 2 minutes is low oil, or water in fuel.

So....

Make sure the header oil tank is full. This is the small oil tank located on the engine correct? (The main tank doesn't have a sensor) Oh... if your oil cap is lose... you won't refill the header. It's pressure driven. I bet this is my problem. On Tuesday I put a full gallon of Quicksilver 2 Stroke oil in it before heading out for a day on the river for my mom birthday. I bet I didn't tighten the refill cap down good enough. Oh and we got caught by the news team. http://wchstv.com/community/west-virginia-wildlife/wv-wildlife-boating-safety

AND...

Drain, or replace the big spin-on fuel filter. Personally, I would just replace it. Sometimes when they get wet inside... they are hard to drain totally.

I was going to replace this anyway just to be safe since you recommended I do it when I bought it. So why doesn't the alarm go off when we were going fast? Was I starving the engine of oil while I was idling or was it just a warning that the level was low in the small tank?[/
QUOTE]

Hey Doc - I was supposed to remind you about the wiring diagram too. . .about the tach losing power when I turn on the Navigation lights.

ok... thanks. I just got home last night. I'll pull it in a few minute.

When you look at the header tank... you can unscrew the cap on that little tank... and look inside. If it got low, just pour oil directly into it. Just an FYI... sometimes the little float sender does go bad. (if it's full)

PM me your email address. I can take a hi-res photo of the schematic, and I will send it to you. (it's too big to run though my scanner)

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil fill cap was 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose. That was probably it. I'll go back out now and make sure the header tank is full.

My daughters boyfriend was captain for the day. I was sitting in front of him. My mother was beside me and my daughter was beside her Bo. It was a great day. Nice breeze. They were filming from a DNR boat and we try to avoid those boats. :Angel:

The oil fill cap was 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose. That was probably it. I'll go back out now and make sure the header tank is full.

I couldn't remove the header cap completely. I don't know if it's not supposed to come out or not but I'm just trusting that's it refilled. We took her out on the river this evening and we idled for about 30 mins with NO BEEPS! So it was the oil refill cap. That's my story and in sticking to it.
Thanks for that heads up Doc!!

Now if I could just figure out why the tachometer STOPS working when I turn on the navigation lights!?!:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back