DESS Post

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

nesnfred

2008 SeaDoo 230 Wake Edition. While underway today a few different times the starboard engine would cut out, dead.

If we turned both engines off, removed lanyard, reinstalled lanyard…I get the two beeps and she’s off again…for a short time then starboard cuts out again.

Sometimes we don’t get the two beeps but that’s been happening for a couple years, we just pull the lanyard, reinstall and the two beeps announce and both always start.

We also tried two separate keys today, same problem occurred with both keys. So my question, can a failing DESS post cause only one engine to cut out? I know the engine just dropping out is a classic DESS post symptom, just not sure why it wouldn’t affect both engines? I have two 215hp.

I’ll also be checking the start/stop switch too since other posts identify that as possible culprit.

I also removed and cleaned the ground wire at the engine block with emery cloth and made sure it was super tight. As I know that can the culprit too…but did that in the driveway after getting home, haven’t retested.

My plan is to replace the DESS post and inspect/test the starboard start/stop switch.

Still would love to know if a failing DESS post can cause just one engine to cut out?

So for anyone else out that experiencing this same problem...I had corrosion on the MPEM and ECU grounding connections on the face of the starboard side engine.

The port side never cutout and of course there was no corrosion there. On my boat, there are three grounding connections involved. One: a grounding cable that grounds the port and starboard side together. Next two, they had two small wires each connected to them, all running it appeared to the MPEM and the ECU. I disconnected all of them, used emery cloth until they shined, sanded the engine block face of the connecting points and then used dialectic grease on everything.

For good measure, I also found the grounding wire on the underside of the block that runs to the negative battery terminal, used emery cloth on that too.

Went back out on the water the next day...ran like a champ!

To access this, remove the middle seat engine cover.

So for anyone else out that experiencing this same problem...I had corrosion on the MPEM and ECU grounding connections on the face of the starboard side engine.

The port side never cutout and of course there was no corrosion there. On my boat, there are three grounding connections involved. One: a grounding cable that grounds the port and starboard side together. Next two, they had two small wires each connected to them, all running it appeared to the MPEM and the ECU. I disconnected all of them, used emery cloth until they shined, sanded the engine block face of the connecting points and then used dialectic grease on everything.

For good measure, I also found the grounding wire on the underside of the block that runs to the negative battery terminal, used emery cloth on that too.

Went back out on the water the next day...ran like a champ!

To access this, remove the middle seat engine cover.
good to know

Back