2004 Seadoo GTX 4-tec Supercharged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Montel125

I bought this seadoo knowing it had starting issues. There are 1 and 2 connection points to the MPEM. I have noticed that when I lift up ever so slightly on #2 connection point going to the MPEM that the electrical connection is made, seadoo gives a few beeps, starts up and basically seems good to go. However, when I stop holding it, the connection is lost and the craft has no power. Brought it to a shop and they told me they couldn't get the machine to not start, started every time for them. Picked it up ans started right in front of me, got in the water, and boom same issue, get home and it starts right up. So the connection is being made and lost at random times but I have narrowed it down to that specific connector

I since then bought a working wiring harness thinking maybe it was the connection, removed old one and replaced with new and still have the same exact issue.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue before? My only thought now is to buy a MPEM to replace and see if that fixes the problem. Also the fuses are completely fine.
Will attach some pictures when I can take some to help narrow this down.

Thanks for the help!

I have actually just fixed the problem. I purchased a new MPEM and installed it. I thought that the keys for the seadoo would need to be programmed to the new MPEM as that is what I was told but after installing the new MPEM the keys worked and I was able to see the dash screen turn on. I was wiggling the 2 main connectors from the wiring harness to the MPEM that seemed to cause the connection issue and the dash stayed on the entire time. Seadoo started no problem. I only wish that I would have replaced the MPEM first even though it was more expensive ($850) compared to a wiring harness ($300) but replacing the wiring harness was absolutely awful. Going to test out the seadoo on the water soon but I am confident that the issue has been fixed. MPEM gone bad somehow.

They go bad. Make sure to use dielectric grease on the connectors. Very important. And no that's a common misconception with the MPEM. It has nothing to do with your keys All it does is transfer information. The ECU on the motor is what controls and matches with your key.

They go bad. Make sure to use dielectric grease on the connectors. Very important. And no that's a common misconception with the MPEM. It has nothing to do with your keys All it does is transfer information. The ECU on the motor is what controls and matches with your key.

Shop manual states in bold letters DO NOT APPLY DIELECTRIC GREASE TO MPEM CONECTORS

AlphaRex uses OE spec connectors which will already ensure a proper water-tight connection. As mentioned above, dielectric grease is non-conductive and could, in fact, impede the flow of electrical current if it is used incorrectly. The use of dielectric grease on AlphaRex light connectors could result in improper electrical lead contacts causing fluctuations in electrical flow, improper functionalities or even generate excess heat which could melt the hardware.

Back