2002 RXDI sitting after water inhale

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mturboman

Love the forum, and my first post.
I recently picked up a 2002 RXDI with only 88.3 hours on it, but not running.
Looks to be in fair shape for sitting in front of the guy's house for the last 10 years, after he let some friends use it and they got a rope sucked up in the impeller pulling a tube. They flipped it over and removed the rope, but they must have flipped it back the wrong way and got water in the motor. He told me he took it to a mechanic and he removed the water and lubed it, but he had not put it in the water since then, and I tried to turn it over and click click click but not turning over. I made sure the battery and connections were good so I ruled that out, so my question is What are my next steps to see if it might be something simple and I can still try to start it, or do i need to tear the motor apart?
Thanks,
Mike

It sounds like it is locked up. Once you get water in them they need to be run on the water hard for at least 30 minutes.

Pull the cover off the driveshaft behind the engine and with the plugs out you should be able to turn it over by hand.

The next shot in the dark is to pull the pump to see if it is locked up.

Given the history there is a 90%+ chance the engine is rusted up.

I hope you didn't pay too much as a non running DI ski can be a huge time and money pit.

I did remove the cover and tried to turn by hand but no luck. I was afraid of the rusted up response, but I didn't pay a lot, so I am hoping for the best! :thumbsup:
I also have a 2003 XPDI I've had for a year now, and love it!
thanks mikidymac

I would say pull the head. At this point you have nothing to lose. If we didn't know the history I would say to pull the pump first and it will need to be pulled anyways if you pull the engine. Make sure you remove the driveshaft clip under the carbon seal hat before you pull the pump.

Post #2 is dead on. Pull plugs turn by hand. If not, pull the impeller/pump as those bearings may have seized. Then try the engine again.

thanks for your responses! I will follow your recommendations over the next couple of weeks and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back