Vts not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ColbyP

Hey everyone recently bought a 2002 rx di as an upgrade to a prior ski but on the last ride of the year the vts was stuck in the up position and I was not able to adjust it. It would just click when trying to put it down and make no noise at all when trying to move it up. I removed the vts motor from the ski and it looks like some water had corroded the inside pretty bad. Would this be a fuse or vts motor issue ? Any help is greatly appreciated

99.9% of the time it is the VTS module, not the motor.
And it is very common for a bad VTS module to fry your expensive MPEM.

Either buy a replacement or search "Seadoo Trim Fix".

Thanks for the help i found out that I had blown the 7.5 amp fuse for the trim in the front and replaced it, works good now but there was quite a bit of water and corrosion in the vts motor housing should I replace the front cover with a new seal ?

Be very careful.
That blown fuse is usually caused wen the electronic stops in the VTS module go bad and allow the motor to over-travel.

Be very careful.
That blown fuse is usually caused wen the electronic stops in the VTS module go bad and allow the motor to over-travel.
How would I go about fixing that ? Do you think it would be a good idea to just replace the whole vts ?

The trim gauge does still work and the vts seems to stop when it’s supposed too I don’t hear a clicking or grinding from the motor trying to overturn passed what it is supposed too is it possible the fuse was just bad and blew ?

Thanks for the help i found out that I had blown the 7.5 amp fuse for the trim in the front and replaced it, works good now but there was quite a bit of water and corrosion in the vts motor housing should I replace the front cover with a new seal ?
If after replacing the vts 7.5A fuse, the unit works then why replace it? Most likely, water got into the unit because the rubber boot on the vts drive shaft failed. I suppose it is possible that water could get in the motor housing via the seal on the cover but you would probably have to sink the machine for that to happen. Let the unit dry out completely, replace the boot, and away you go. Replacing the boot is a bit of pain but not nearly as bad as $300 for a replacement vts unit. Squirt some WD4 in the boot before trying to push it onto its groves. The fuse probably blew when the motor was wet causing it to draw more current than a proper motor. To insure the motor is running freely, remove the vts cover and find the two connectors on the wires going to the motor. Pull them apart and run come clip leads from the motor wires to your battery. Let the motor run a bit to make sure that it is dry and its lubricants are working. Reversing the clip leads on the battery will cause the motor to reverse its rotation. If the motor sound like it is laboring then let me know and I will explain how to remove and clean the motor. They really are almost indestructible but will stop working if filled with water.

Back