2002 GTX RFI won't run over 30 mph.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mknice1

We purchased a 2002 GTX RFI. The cylinder compression is good on both cylinders. It stared out going about 50 mph, but now only goes about 30 -35 mph. Any ideas as to what might cause this?

Also what is the actual compression numbers?
Is it reving and not going like a slipping clutch or the engine just won’t go any faster?

Also what is the actual compression numbers?
Is it reving and not going like a slipping clutch or the engine just won’t go any faster?
Compression Is Right Around 150 In Both cylinders. I am not sure about the engine or slipping. We are not currently where we can run it in water.

Crawl under it and inspect the wear ring like Miki says you may be cavitating. Does it rev up ?

I have changed fuel filters and fuel pump. My son took it out today. It ran great for about 20 minutes. It then dropped down to 11 mph. Any suggestions? Is there a way to check for codes without taking to a dealer?

12.3-12.5 with the ski off. Don’t want it to drop below 12v when cranking or running.

Just checked all mine and they are 12.5-12.6 for flooded batteries new and years old. Obviously higher is better mine are always on a battery tender.

The big test is it dropping when cranking.

Update.
I have replaced the injectors, rectifier and the oil filter.

We took the ski out on the lake yesterday. It was sluggish and did not run well. It started out at only 3300rpm. It eventually made it up to around 4400 rpm.

Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

I'm just getting into the RFI but did you or is there a place to check fuel pressure?? Save those parts you are replacing. Is there a chance you created a new problem when you did the work on the fuel pump and filters?? Did you test the TPS?? Check compression again. Happy Hunting. :)

Mine had a similar issue which turned out to be an old coupler from exhaust to noise suppression units. The smoke exhaust was filling the chamber and bogging down the engine. Only happened if I slowed down, I wouldn't be able to gain speed again. Once I found the leak it was a $10 fix. Did it same day as rectifier and fuel filters.

I'm just getting into the RFI but did you or is there a place to check fuel pressure?? Save those parts you are replacing. Is there a chance you created a new problem when you did the work on the fuel pump and filters?? Did you test the TPS?? Check compression again. Happy Hunting. :)
It ran the best after the fuel pump replacement. It then went back to running sluggish.

Did you check k codes ?
Also take the crank sensor off and check for fillings since it’s an easy check.
Does your battery have more voltage now with the rectifier changed ?
Did you check to make sure you didn’t suck anything up in the impeller ?

Could it be a bad bearing in the shaft?

Sorry not sure where the k came from lol. You need a scanner. My local dealer scanned mine and didn’t charge me anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back