2001 Utopia 185 200hp newbie questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

karagreg

We're going to look at this boat today. We've never owned a boat.

So I've been reading this board for a few days and know you guys recommend getting the Mercury engine checked out/inspected and also taking the boat for a test drive on the water.

How do sellers of boats usually work this? Do they just let you take their boat? Do they expect some type of collateral or deposit? Will Mercury mechanics fit me in for the inspection within say a week?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. This is a great board!

Here is the original ad on craigslist:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/1258646224.html

Here are some other pics from the guy - he's 62 and says it is too much boat for he and his wife.

Attachments

• Docked 2 (1).JPG
    Docked 2 (1).JPG
    755.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_5056.JPG
    100_5056.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_5057.JPG
    100_5057.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 100_5078.JPG
    100_5078.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Boat items.JPG
    Boat items.JPG
    549.1 KB · Views: 36
If those pictures are "current" the boat looks extraordinarily clean for a 2001. I would move forward with getting the mercury inspected if I were you.

Contact a mercury shop that is qualified to work on the 200 hp optimax engine. Ask what the rate is to inspect the engine within a Seadoo jet boat. Shouldnt be more than say $100 to $150. Make an appointment and ask the current boat owner to bring the boat to this location for an inspection. I would do this probably following the sea trial this way if you detect something is wrong at the sea trial you can abort the engine inspection and save the money.

Looks like a perfect example of a well maintained Utopia providing those pictures arent from when the boat was first purchased ;-)

Craig

Thanks, Craig.

He is the 2nd owner. I believe they are the current pics ... I'll find out in a few hours when we go look at it.

Wish me luck!

Thanks again for the advice!

:agree:

Craig is right on with what you need to do before buying the boat, and the order in which to do it. If it turns out to be as clean as it looks, it sounds like a great deal. IF you move ahead with the inspection be sure to ask the shop if the boat still has the factory Hydrosurge intake grate. If it does you will want to change it out for a fixed tine grate before it causes problems.

Aaron

Aaron,

I talked to the owner this a.m. - he said he replaced the intake grate when he purchased the boat 5 years ago. I do not know if it was a fixed tine grate or not. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

I'm leaving in about an hour to go see the boat in person.

Thanks!

Greg

Aaron,

I talked to the owner this a.m. - he said he replaced the intake grate when he purchased the boat 5 years ago. I do not know if it was a fixed tine grate or not. Is there a way to tell by looking at it?

I'm leaving in about an hour to go see the boat in person.

Thanks!

Greg

Yeah it's easy. Lay under the boat and push up on the grate. The Hydrosurge is hinged with a spring and will move, and you will notice the tines at the back are not attached to the back of the frame. A fixed grate is one solid piece.

Aaron

Just got home from my up close and personal inspection of this boat.

From my newbie perspective, it appears to be in excellent condition. The pictures did not lie - and I took more to show you guys.

It is a hydrosurge grate. Anyone know how much that is to replace? Nothing appears to be wrong with it currently, however.

Besides a slight break in the seams of one of the rear seats (he left a wrench on the seat in the cold while working on something and then put his knee on the wrench by mistake) - nothing appears wrong with the boat! (cover is old looking but it is 8 years old afterall)

I have a test drive on Lake Anna on Monday morning!:hurray:

Attachments

• DSCF2006.jpg
    DSCF2006.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF2018.jpg
    DSCF2018.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF2013.jpg
    DSCF2013.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF2015.jpg
    DSCF2015.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF2016.jpg
    DSCF2016.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 38
It appears immaculate! You have no idea how many 2007 and 2008 boats that look like hell compared to that one! If the engine gets a clean bill of health I say BUY BUY BUY!!!

of course if you can get a better price from him great but looks like a winner from the pics!

Craig

Looks like it is in great shape. Be sure to try all the switches and controls when you are on the water. Make sure all the lights and gauges work on both the boat and the trailer.

If all seems good on your test drive you should still have it checked out by a Mercury shop though. The fixed grates run around 160 dollars online.

Aaron:cheers:

Bring a hand held GPS if you can. Aaron, what kind of speed should he see in that boat? low 40's??

Craig

Hey Craig!....did you go to hawaii lately and find a tiki statute?...and took it off the island? Compared to these guys and their boat finds..you have the worst luck ever! You have seen at least 4 boats that were promising and they turn out to be rode extra hard and put away wet!..and that isn't including the one in Wisconsin!..:reddevil:

Buddy...keep the faith!...you will find it!:cheers:

I didn't have a GPS to bring with me, but with two 200 pound adults and a 4 1/2 year old child, we hit 50 on the boat's speedometer. Not sure how accurate that would be.

Drove great.

Progressing towards purchase. Found a dealer about 30-40 minutes away that works on the Mercury engines.

50 MPH on the Dream-o-meter is probably mid 40's in reality. Everything sounds great so far! Please keep us posted on the mechanics report!

Craig

There was definitely some more throttle to go, but I didn't want push it.

I'm nervous enough as it is - considering this will be my first boat. As long as it can get me up on some skiis, I'm happy.

karagreg,

did u pickup ur boat yet from the seller? If so, how u liking it? im looking at purchasing the exact same boat from a seller near fredericksburg in the nxt 2 weeks. what mercury dealer did u use to chk the boat engine/boat out & how much did it cost? im up in northern va & tryin to find a good dealer to chk the boat out for me.thnx for any info u can provide & enjoy ur new boat!!

We're taking the boat to Sanderson Marine, down in Chester area - south of Richmond.

Picking up the boat tomorrow ... cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back