2001 GTX DI - Premium Gas Will Fix Problem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joaquin

Ok guys. It has been 3 months since my 2001 Seadoo GTX DI has been on the mechanic.

I bought a replacement fuel pump from eBay for $150 ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-...ts&hash=item2a21a41bd6&vxp=mtr#ht_1817wt_1163 ) I've not installed it yet as according to the mechanic and having it left fixing for 3 months, they discovered water in the fuel tank. I know 3 months to discover that only, its like a routine now with the DI as it seems when the computer system doesn't provide solution to the problem.

So after giving the Seadoo a run it worked way better as they changed the fuel tank gas and apparently it had water and gas mixed. Not so sure how's that even possible and I couldn't even believed it.

The stalling problem still continues, but much less. One new possible solution was to switch again from 87 octane gas to 91 as the jetski recommended. I switch from 91 to 87 2 years ago and another mechanic said that his 80% sure that my DI is having problem because I change from premium to regular gas.

So changing from 91 premium gas to 87...is it really that possible that's my problem fixer? I'll try it tomorrow labor day by adding 91 octane gas to see if it resolves it.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a reason they put a premimum gas sticker on the machine and put it in the manual....The DI is very specific to its needs.

If I were you I would only run NON Ethanol (clear) gas in that thing, and use Stabil Marine when it sits longer than a month. Ethanol gas can break down quickly... and one of the things some it turns into is water. Not only that, it is highly corrosive and can break down orings and fuel lines.

Yes Non Eth gas is more expensive, but its a small cost to pay to keep it out of the shop when the sun is shining.

RFIs and DIs cannot get ANY water in the gas or they run like complete horse chit.

One of the issues of using gas with ethanol in it is the fact that ethanol attracts moisture. I don't know if the higher octane will help or not but not running ethanol will. In some places the higher octane choices don't have ethanol. Other small engines, lawn mowers, weed eaters etc. are having the same problems. The carbs and injectors on these small engines can't handle the moisture that comes with ethanol.

Cossack....the biggest reason to only run it in chain saws and weedwackers is the plastic flaps and stuff in the carbs. Ethanol gas wrecks those plastic parts esp in older equipment and cheap chinese crap.
And yes water is no good either...lol

Just bought 1 gallon for about $88 on eBay thanks to your 'totally makes sense' response. I forgot my jetski is pretty much a luxury item and forgot to treat as it as the year passed, it's about spending and treating it well so I am hoping I surprise my old time mechanic with this 91 octane or better solution. Something so simple and just to save around $5 of a few cents per running hour of use..I was being cheap and it has cost me dearly in the past months.

I'll also add Stabil Marine every now and then, damn when things get old or in other cases, fat, we forget to treat correctly...at least some of us...gggzzz!

THX for the grea heads up! Made my night

Theres a reason they put a premimum gas sticker on the machine and put it in the manual....The DI is very specific to its needs.

If I were you I would only run NON Ethanol (clear) gas in that thing, and use Stabil Marine when it sits longer than a month. Ethanol gas can break down quickly... and one of the things some it turns into is water. Not only that, it is highly corrosive and can break down orings and fuel lines.

Yes Non Eth gas is more expensive, but its a small cost to pay to keep it out of the shop when the sun is shining.

RFIs and DIs cannot get ANY water in the gas or they run like complete horse chit.

On another note I am not sure why in my last run I din't see how much gas my DI had left! The gauge works well for MPH and amount of hours used, but the only thing I am not seeing now is how many gas I still have left. My guess is it's because of cheap gas also. Not sure if this makes sense, but I am hoping it'll get fixed tomorrow's new run.

He might also be adding in shop labor in there.

Kinda odd the fuel gauge isnt reading right...I dont think the DIs and RFIs fail like the senders in carb models do.

BTW the only stupid question is one someone asks AFTER they have problems.

Hopefully she runs like a top the next time you get it out.

I am confused. My 99 GTX RFI manual says to use 87 octane. I thought the RFI system was calibrated for this octane and using 91 might cause problems.If there is a benefit to using 91 I sure dont mind paying an extra $4 for a fill up. What is the difference between Rotax's RFI and DI and why do they specify different octanes.

Ok, Now I have a question. I've got a 01 GTX DI, which should I put in it 91 which contains ethanol or 89 with no ethanol? Cost at the pump is almost equal so not looking to save a few pennies there, just want the best for the temperamental beast.

Totally agree with you, it seems this post has helped quite a few folks here make new decisions and improve on their own analysis of DIs/

Added a full tank of 91 octane gas (yes, cheaper than most USA states for some odd reason even if I'm overseas - 99 cents a liter) ..the DI ran well for around 1 hour and then the muffler went bye-bye and I had to unify/wrap it tightly and it got me back safely...but going again to the mechanic as even with a full tank the gauge is beeping with the out of fuel warning, the maintnance kept going for the full 2.5 hours run. Ran pretty good overall, only problem is I now believe the maintenance and the minor stall was because of the water going in because of the new muffler issue not being tight correctly mmm..

That's me and 100's more here in the forum I guess..too many Corona's jajaa :)))..need more humor for finding the cause..oh well. So far the suggestions about the Stabil and premium gas at all timeswas great and I think it worked pretty well until my muffler pipe went broke. Stabil and premium were never suggested by my 100.5 mph jetski champ mechanic or asked..I guess he forgot or believed I knew those basics things.

Yes, $88 for a gallon of Stabil marine..between me and my buddie the sharing should last..

Will see how it goes with the new fixes..will be selling soon, but not yet, I think the full problems will be found shortly.

THX for the veterans contributions and all others with good insights.

He might also be adding in shop labor in there.

Kinda odd the fuel gauge isnt reading right...I dont think the DIs and RFIs fail like the senders in carb models do.

Hopefully she runs like a top the next time you get it out.

which should I put in it 91 which contains ethanol or 89 with no ethanol?

Now that's odd. I thought both contained contained ethanol but the percentages were greater in ethanol in 89 and to a minimum in 91 as per latest goverment gas regulations. Dude up here recommended Stabil, I believe it worked greatly...WestMarine or Walmart. $88 for a gallon of Stabil on eBay and less as you're in the states.

Good recommendations here. Another good one..bump

We have several station here that are offering ethanol free 89 octane. Wanted to know which would be better for the DI I own. Ethanol free 89 Octane or 91 Octane (which is recommended for the DI) but it contains ethanol?

We have several station here that are offering ethanol free 89 octane. Wanted to know which would be better for the DI I own. Ethanol free 89 Octane or 91 Octane (which is recommended for the DI) but it contains ethanol?

The higher the better. I still have the sticker that says "91" on my 2001 DI, if you've 93 available up there even better. At least that's what I've read here on the forums and with mechanics offline today. Makes sense, its a luxury toy..not a need.

However, BUMP for ya

I have read that eth free 91 is the same as eth 93 I think it was in my Polaris service manual...I never understood that as an octane rating is based on its burn efficiency. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Non ethanol is ALWAYS the better fuel to use.

The RFI and DIs are totally different motors and technology...but both should be using non eth for sure.

Typically running higher octane in a machine not designed for it is a complete waste....but when you are talking 1-2 difference it might be the difference between a burndown b/c of some old gas, and also a cooler motor.

Also when you are talking Fuel injection the computer will change things based on the sensor info.

All I know is in my Honda VX it has SO much more power when Im towing something. Its my 50mpg single ski getter...and it gets premimum gas on the way home for more power on uphills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back