2001 Gs Unidentified Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackmeg

After starting up my 2001 GS on the trailer with water connected for less than a
minute, I hear what I will describe as a "rattling/growling" noise that is much
more perceptive from outside at back of the ski than from inside the engine
compartment. If you kill it and let it set for a minute and then restart and
let it idle it is quite, but if you blip the throttle it starts and doesn't go
away.

I have two identical ski's and both have about 50 hours on them (they have been
sitting for several years and just spent a number of hours cleaning and doing
general maintenance). Only thing I have done with regard to the pumps is to
change the pump oil. Before I go jumping into removing and inspecting the
pumps, I thought someone out there could provide some advice. Oh and BTW, only
one of the two ski's makes the noise.

Thanks in advance

Jack
Texas

just sounds like pump rattle to me.mine do it,with and without the anti rattle cone.try raising the idle a bit,i have mine about 1650rpm.to verify ,put it in the water ,when the pump loads,the noise will probly be gone.

:agree: Sounds like typical seadoo pump rattle. Be sure the PTO is greased until the rubber expands slightly, that will keep the driveshaft a little tighter and negate some rattle. When running on the hose for more then 30-40 sec, be sure to spray some water on the carbon seal with a spray bottle to keep it from overheating and getting damaged. That will sound more like a wine or squeel then a rattle.

Thanks guys for the quick response. They both have what I would call a normal rattle. Only one has a rattle that sounds like a muffled growl. This only happens when I give it throttle the first time. When it starts up and idles the sound is normal but creates this noise at the back of the ski when I give it throttle. The sound does not go away when it goes back to idle. I did run it on the water and only ran it for about 3 minutes keeping the carbon seal wet. (And followed correct hose instructions) It does not sound like metal rubbing, could have I put something in wrong when I replaced pump oil? I am going to tackle this evening so,again I appreciate the insight....

Jack
Texas

i will take another stab at it. If your comparing the sound of your GS to GSX, the exhaust comes out in different spots. The GS comes out of the hull and blows into the pump cavity, where your GSX comes straight out the back. The GS will have more of an "echo growl" (for lack of a better description) then the GSX, I kinda like the sound better on take off.

As far as replacing the pump oil, there is not much to go wrong there other then putting the anti rattle kit in wrong but even that would be a stretch.
Did you grease the PTO?

Kicker,

Yes I did grease the pto. I am comparing the sound to my other gs not my gsx. One gs has a the rattle noise but never changes sound when revving. The other one does the growl noise when revving. I am pulling the thrust bearing tonight to make sure nothing is damaged and will update you on the forum. I appreciate your replies, lets hope I find the culprit.

Jack
Texas

how bout startin it briefly with the pump AND driveshaft out.if the noise is gone,its in the pump,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back