2000 seadoo gtx 951, connection problem?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vark123

This is a 2000 seadoo gtx millimium edition, ive been having problems with this one, everytime it looks like i fixed something there's a new problem. About 2 weeks ago i tried to start my key, pushed to start, and nothing happened, no sound just silence. I assumed it was a electrical problem, so i went and checked all the connections and saw that the connections in the starter relay were not the greatest, so you know i went on amazon, and bought the relay, came in brand new, same modle number and all, put all the connections together. Didnt have my spark plugs in at the time, was just testing. Hit start, and there it was cranking just fine. So next day, bought some new spark plugs put all together, thinking that it will fire right up with the spark plugs, hit the start, and i hear a spinning noise like a little moter is working, found that it came from the electical box, checked again and it was the starter relay. Could it have went bad just over 1 night? i mean it cranked just fine the day before, ive tried to clean all the connections again but still the same problem. im not sure whats causing this problem.

It's a little confusing. There isn't a way for a "Spinning" sound to come from the electrical box. I think the sound was coming from the starter. Since this is a 951 engine... I'd say that the starter gear... with the one-way bearing in it has gone bad, and is just spinning.

Sounds like to me you should be looking for a bad ground. I had problems like that on me skis and my 150 yamaha outboards and it has always turned out to be a bad ground! Not enough juice to push starter so bendix doesn't move but starter motor spins in place. Look at your grounds first.

Doc, do you mean the Bendix? I don't know of a 1 way starter bearing on these...

Throw some cables on the starter. Does it spin?

If you have to pull the Bendix, that engine has to come out.

To me it doesn't sound all that complicated. Check all wire that ground a little corrosion in a while can cause a bad day. There is always moisture trapped in the hull it like a sauna for anything inside. Like the man said jump the starter direct to see if it spins and engages if it does like said bad connection somewhere. Try the simple stuff before tearing into too much. Maybe it's a simple fix

Aright but before i jump, ive cleaned the negative and positive contacts that connect to the starter and the engine. Put them back, tried to see if it might work, again im not getting any beeps, as when i did get them before these problems started, so i put the yet, dash on and all, click start, i hear a "click" sound, but its not the click sound you hear from the starter, because ive heard that one before, and im 100% sure that that "click" or tick/sound it coming from the electrical box, when i put my finger on the starter relay, i can feel the click. The thing that i dont understand is that when i just put the relay on, the engine cranked just fine... but i didnt have my plugs in was just checking for spark. Then next day, put everything together, and this spin... what could have made it from cranking to a spin, now a tick, and im positive its not coming from the starter. Ive cleaned all the connections.

And im not really sure how do i acually jump the starter? Do i put the negative on the ground, and positive to the starter?

Last edited by a moderator:
When was the last time you charged your battery? Maybe your battery coughed and died. Charge it if you haven't in a while. Maybe a low voltage thing

Alright i tried just to juststart the battery, with most of the things not connected to the the engine, pushed start, hear much louder sound from starter relay, and i can hear the starter spinning, but no engine crank. Im guessing my battery is dead or something idk.. i mean its like new. So now the problem is the bendex forsure. S: got to take more apart.

Edit: alright so its good to know what i need to fix now, jumped started this morning, and the beeper worked, so my battery is fried, even though i charged it all night, not sure why its a new battery, . So gotta go buy the battery and replace the bendix, and hopfully that will get this thing back to running condition. I'll tell you guys how it goes.

Don't buy a battery a walmart. They are junk. Get a sealed gel or something good. The cheap batteries normally only last about a season and go caput. Better to invest just a few more bucks on the better battery. Glad you are getting closer to finding issue

where is federal way?

pulling a 951 out of a GTX is... less than fun, but possible.

take photos, and if you have the grey fuel lines in it, now would be a good time to change them for new, and clean out your carbs!

wrap a rope around the PTO and just pull really hard, maybe it will start ;)

No worries Doc, just wanted to clarify the part(s).

var123, you may want to start a new thread about pulling the engine and replacing the bendix. You will need a flywheel puller and some long metric bolts.

Don't buy a battery a walmart. They are junk. Get a sealed gel or something good. The cheap batteries normally only last about a season and go caput. Better to invest just a few more bucks on the better battery. Glad you are getting closer to finding issue

Yeah ive had experience with walmart batteries, returned mine, then i get one from auto zone, and this ones bad too only after 6 months, got a better one now, with 18month warrenty, also the bendix is coming in.

---sabrtooth
I live close to 21th st, or by winco/fredmyers.
I really just dont have the time/cash to fix the lines invested quite abit already, trying to make a profit, whats wrong with the gray fuel lines?

ill start a new thread and tell you how it all goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back