2000 GTX DI Dying....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddler

I was wondering if there were any DI brains out there that could help me with my problem.
I have a 2000 GTX DI with about 140hrs on it.
It was running fine till I started to have stator issues so I pulled the motor, replaced the stator, starter etc.and put it back together double checking everything. (135lbs on each cylinder)
The ski ran perfect (6700rpm/55+ mph) for hours.
The next time I had it out a few days later it ran great for about a hour then the rpms statrted to drop off by 1000, a little later they dropped off alltogether and stalled. I was able to limp it in to the dock a few miles away. It was running rough, with a funky fuely smell and no rpms above 2k. I went thru the ski at home and found no obstructions.
Plugs were very fouled carbon black, dry compression reading was 90 on the mag side, 65 on the pto....any ideas what caused this? P.s. no codes came up on dash at all, beeps fine
Thanks for reading....Bob

You said you pulled the engine to work on it? Did you set-up the oil injection properly after the install? Where there any pinched oil lines? What kind of oil are you burning? When was the last time the oil system was serviced?? (new filter, and hoses)

Basically, you lost the top-end, and I suspect it's oil related. But without a look inside... we can only guess.

I never disconnected the oil lines to the mag case or engine. Pump seemed fine although did not do a test on it. Smoke coming out the exhaust at idle. If the numbers are below 100 at dry test is the top end done? Would seem like a oil problem if both cylinders went at once, but would it last 3-4 hours without oil? If I put in a little oil they both pop up to 120+. Would you reccomend a new top end kit and go thru all the stystems again?

That engine should be showing 135 psi cold and "Dry". Putting oil in the cyl's is just covering up the problem. At 90 and 65... both cyl's did give up. That's why I'm pointing my finger at the oil.

But, you didn't answer 2 of my questions....

1) What kind of oil do you use?
2) When was the system serviced last?

I checked the whole system when I had it apart, replaced filter etc...Only use BRP XP oil since I had it...I guess there could have been a clog during my last run. Would that cause a suddun loss of rpms and eventual failure? I wonder why there are no warnings for oil loss?

Thanks

OK. If you changed the filter, and use XPS... you should be OK. (may not have been an oil issue)

As I was saying before... you got to open the engine to find out what happened.

It could have failed because of a lean run... or it could have overheated.

Thanks for all your info...anything in particular I should be looking for...maybe start at the top end.It may just need a kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back