951 DI surging PLZ HELP🥺

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
It will jump to 6800rpms out of idle then drop to 6500 instantly and then surges from that point 6100-6500-6100-6500-6100, it typically only does it at over 5000rpms I can’t figure this out plz someone help

Back story
I recently bought a 98 GSX LTD ran great for a while then was blowing the 15amp fuse instantly and wouldn’t turn on, sure enough I found a foreign piece of metal grounding my stator to my mag I took the piece of metal out and slapped it back together despite the stator being slightly burnt ( was just trying to get by untill the new one came) When I went to take out on the water (burnt stator) it ran ok untill it started surging i would be at 6500 rpm then drop to 6100 then back up if I held it at WOT it would continue this off an on surge, I chalked it up to the burnt stator

When new stator came To my surprise it didn’t work I bought a 951 carb model so that’s on me I ordered one for a 2000 GTX 951 DI since my GSX is a Frankenstein and someone dropped a 951 DI in it (have no clue what year the motor acc is)

I had trouble getting the new 951DI stator in but made it work with smaller bolts heads I took off my 787 RFI they were just thinner but it is still surging now and I can’t figure out why

Note my new “951 DI stator” is identical to my stock one in my 787RFi with a different plug on it

Also note that the 787 RFI stator fits back in with my larger headed 951 bolts though that was strange but whatever

Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as I can

So you have a 951 DI engine that was surging before and after a stator replacement. Sounds like that was not the problem. The first step in DI diagnosis is to check fuel and air pressure. Start with fuel pressure and see if it drops when it surges. DI's have higher electrical demand so I would worry a bit about all the other non-DI components in your GSX, especially the fuel pump. Can you see what kind of fuel pump it has? OEM is best and many get replaced with aftermarket units that draw too much power.

Check your Water Control Valve for leaks. You can lose some RPM there but I don't know about surging.
I'm with @WaarrEagle check the fuel pressure. I doubt those filters in the tank get changed very often.

Back