2000 GTS 720 fuel leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rholder3

I recently purchased a pair of SeaDoo's. In preparation for winterizing them, I filled both fuel tanks up so I could add stabilizer. I noticed a fuel smell around them the next day, and noticed that there's fuel in the bottom of the hull of the 2000 GTS with a 720 (just in the bottom ridge of the hull). I have not had time to investigate any further, but I'm planning on it this weekend. Since I'm new to owning any type of PWC, is anyone out there willing to point me to the most common source of leaks or maybe give me a checklist of things to look for?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I feel like I read about a recall in certain fuel tanks. If I'm right, the dealer can run your HIM and tell you if it has been replaced yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kinda feel it has something to do with the fact that the tank is full, seeing as how the hulls were clean and fuel free when I bought them. I'll get with my local dealer to check for recalls. Thanks for the suggestion.

The fuel tank recall covered 93-96 models, but do check with dealer, they can check while you are on the phone.

I am not sure what years were involved, but if you have the gray tempo fuel lines they need to go as well as cleaning up fuel system. Lot of threads here on that.

I have personally found on old (everything I got is old) skis leaks at the points of connections of the fuel lines. Even the black lines get hard when old. I would need to go out and look at my 00 GTS to see for sure, but think if the fuel tank is completely full that would put the fuel level above some of the fuel line connections.

In any case, please insure you got it fixed before hitting the starter; we do not want to hear about another boat/ski blowing up ... tends to wreck your day.

Only slightly less drastic than an explosion is that fuel system air leaks or blockages tend to make the engine run lean and internally self-destruct.

Have fun, be safe and welcome to the best SeaDoo forum; you can find all your answers here or someone willing to help.

Thanks, Rod. I am definitely trying to make sure they are in top shape for riding season as I will be having my family on them also!

Here's to hoping I don't have to throw a "ton" of money at them. I know, I know, fun comes at a price. I got a great deal on them and hope to get them to peak shape and possibly flip them when we're done!

the 95 GTX is on the fuel tank recall list fer sure. The replacement is no cost to you although some dealers May whine about it; they do the entire job of replacement.

Off your original question, you should check compression; if it looks low, try a different tester. Get a shop manual for each, available on line for free download or free here as premium member.

If you do not know for sure what is in them, clean out oil system/filter and fill with proper oil ... many threads out here on oil but definitely do NOT use outboard oil (tcw-3) and you can never go wrong by using the SeaDoo oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back