2 Skis, 2 Bad starters??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zschwalbe4

Hello, I have a 96 SPX and a 96 HX.
I neglected to remove/disconnect the batteries before storing them for a few months.
One battery had corrosion on the terminals and wouldn't hold a charge.
The other looked fine and seemed to charge after 2 days on the tender.
So, about a week ago, I put the "charged" battery in each ski and started them one at a time.
Both skis started (after a few tries) and ran on the trailer.
---> Fast forward to today.
I put the battery in the HX to take it out on the water.
No crank, nothing.
Went to local auto store to have battery tested. They said it would not hold a charge.
So I bought 2 new batteries. Part# 216L CCA: 260
-->Brought them home and put them in.
-The HX cranked but slowly and not enough to start it. Then it proceeded to continue slowly cranking, even with the key off, until I disconnected the battery. I assumed solenoid was stuck.
-The SPX did not crank at all. Instead I just heard one loud click or thump sound each time I pressed the start button. I opened the ebox and the noise was the solenoid.
-->Went to the dealer and bought 2 new oem solenoids and put them both in.
-The HX still cranks slow, but did not continue like before. It cranks quickly with the spark plugs out but slow and labored with them in.
-The SPX makes the same loud click sound. No change.

**I tried both skis using my car battery and same results, and I cleaned/sanded all the wire connections and terminals.**

So after all of this, I am thinking that I have 2 bad starters. But why? They started a week ago. What changed between then and now? What causes a starter to fail? Can a battery with a weak charge or a bad battery damage the starter?

The HX has an oem denso and the SPX has an SBT aftermarket.

I suppose my next step is to remove and test both starters. Any info appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The continued a to crank after the button was released is almost always low voltage. I know the batteries are new, but I strongly suggest getting them load tested. If they come back as good, then you need to check your cables and connections. If they are good, then I would think you have poor quality starters. Do you know if they are OEM or aftermarket?

The continued a to crank after the button was released is almost always low voltage. I know the batteries are new, but I strongly suggest getting them load tested. If they come back as good, then you need to check your cables and connections. If they are good, then I would think you have poor quality starters.
It isn't having this issue anymore since the new battery and new solenoid. Now it is just very slow and labored to crank. If the spark plugs are out, it turns over like normal.

Do you know if they are OEM or aftermarket?
The HX has oem denso starter. the spx has aftermarket SBT

I'd still load test the battery, I had a NEW gel cell start my 2010 GTX twice and then fail. New does not mean good,, By testing it, you will confirm where the issue is not. And that alone is worth something..

Most aftermarket starters just don't hold up as well..

I'd still load test the battery, I had a NEW gel cell start my 2010 GTX twice and then fail. New does not mean good,, By testing it, you will confirm where the issue is not. And that alone is worth something..

Most aftermarket starters just don't hold up as well..

I will have them load tested. In the meantime, I tried both skis with my car battery and got the same results. Does this mean the starters are most likely to blame? And if so, what caused both starters to fail at the same time? thanks

Most likely it is the starters. HOWEVER,, unless you take a good look at the cables and the connections, you could buy 100 batteries and it wouldn't matter..

I would rebuild the OEM starter with a new brush kit. I would buy a good used starter from [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]. Get rid of the aftermarket..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back