RESTO 1997 SPX "Titanic" Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pit a T after the fp strainer. Not sure but I know when I was asking questions about this people told me to plug the stinger. Maybe that's just a spec 1 tho...

You just have to keep in mind any fitting that has a jet needs to have filtered water. If you are only running the fp strainer they only have filters to the side fittings. It is very easy to drill and tap another fitting on the strainer.

Thanks guys. I'm running 2 strainers. A larger coarse strainer that I made a mount for and then the FPP strainer.

Fuel Questions - Alternatives to non-ethanol gas

Well my build is nearing completion and I hope to splash it this weekend given the 70-75 weather that is predicted. I'm now faced with finding what fuel to use in the ski. If you recall i have stock compression, Factory Spec II, and Novi 44's.

I've searched everywhere and the only Non-Ethanol Gas I can find is at a Marina 45 min away and they only have 89 (and aren't open for the season yet). So here are my options... Please take a look and see what you suggest

A. 100LL Aviation fuel (I live 4 miles from a small airfield). Read mixed reviews on lead and other additives not being good for high RPM engines. UPDATE - I just called and apparently the airport no longer will sell AV gas to the public unless pumped directly into a plane :-(
B. 89 non-lead from the Marina and Add octane booster/racegas etc. Here is one I looked at: http://www.maperformance.com/products/race-gas-race-fuel-concentrate
C. 93 Ethanol and add the same octane booster as option B
D. Buy a 55 gallon Drum of race fuel from somewhere as I cant seem to find locally

Let me know you opinions. Reviews on the racegas addative above are good, but its not cheap.

Interested to hear the opinions on this. I don't run engine mods and will let the experts chime in, but I would assume that running 93 octane would be enough, wasn't that what factory recommends with the pipe instructions?

I know you also have larger carbs, but I would assume that the larger carbs will only help your case.

Please, more experienced folks correct me.

Run the 93. The benefit of non ethanol gas is shelf life, that's it. You want octane to ward off detonation. Ideally you would add a couple gallons of race fuel per tank to the 93 to feel good about long WOT runs. I'm not sure about the booster cans I'd probably expect a little less from it then they claim.

Fresh 93 does not hold it's octane very long. I pick the busiest gas station to buy it from. I try not to store too much and I keep it in a cool dry and dark place. Race fuel will last a very long time in those conditions though.

Where is your ignition timing at? The rev limiter probably has settings for timing adjustment. I would not advance it on pump gas, not more then 1 degree anyway.

I just used an oil filter as my strainer on my xp.

214.jpg

I've been forced to run 93 octane pretty much since 2011 with every ski i've owned, I always worried about losing a bit of octane but in reality my only solution was to try and run the tank down close to empty at the end of the day's ride if I knew it was going to be a while before I hit the ramp again, then top off on the way out next time. Personally i've never bothered with stabil or boosters but its rare for any of my ski's to sit for more then 3 weeks max.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks guys! Glad to hear as 93 is the cheapest option [emoji106]. I just want to ensure I don't burn up any pistons with three FPP. I'm hoping I'll be OK since I left it at stock compression.

I'm sure a group K or other head will find its way on there at some point but for now I'd really like pump gas and reliability.

Feeling like a plumber...
257.jpg

Still waiting on a new main strainer. Just realized I accidentally ordered the 3/4 size. I did get the mounting bracket made for it.

With factory compression you dont need anything higher than what ever the manual says but if its going to sit for long periods you may spend the extra doh on an ethenol free fuel

Feeling like a plumber...
257.jpg

Still waiting on a new main strainer. Just realized I accidentally ordered the 3/4 size. I did get the mounting bracket made for it.

I would move the injection solenoid to the pipe instead of being on the strainer

I would move the injection solenoid to the pipe instead of being on the strainer
Any specific reason to move it? Is the solenoid not strong enough to push water that far or just loses pressure?

Glad to report that the ski came to life electrically last night at about 2 am. Still need to clean up wiring and get the carbs and primer installed.

Theoretically it should react faster that way (with the solenoid right at the head pipe injection fitting), the water will be pressurized in the injection line up to the solenoid at all times whether it is on or off and would start spraying into head pipe sooner/faster when the solenoid kicks on vs the solenoid kicking on and having to fill or pressurize the length of line with water up to the head pipe. When you mash WOT the time from it turning on to kicking back off is short enough that you may not get the full effect when it has to fill the line up before it will spray into the pipe.

That's just how it makes sense to me anyway. I've seen them ran both ways but I think the solenoid located nearest the injection point on the pipe is best.

Ok, I was just figuring that once the hose is filled the first time it will stay filled since the pipe cant suck the water out of the hose If the solenoid is closed. Kind of like putting your finger over a drinking straw and water stays in the straw.

For $2 in hose and moving fittings around its probably worth swapping though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I was just figuring that once the hose is filled the first time it will stay filled since the pipe cant suck the water out of the hose If the solenoid is closed. Kind of like putting your finger over a drinking straw and water stays in the straw.

For $2 in hose and moving fittings around its probably worth swapping though.
A 2 stroke doesn't have constant positive pressure the exhaust wave actually creates a slight vacuum to pull in fresh fuel and air.

Got the candoo today. They had actually never had anyone ask for a 96 xp before so after some pictures of connections Jeff made up one that would work. Install should take about 5 minutes.

He even used one of my pics in the install guide, lol.
275.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back