RESTO 1997 SPX "Titanic" Build

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankeneyou

1997 SPX "Titanic" Build

Starting a rebuild on a 1997 SPX I purchased off of e-bay back in the fall for $235. The ski had been under water for a few days due to the PO forgetting to screw the plug in when leaving it tied to his dock, hence the "titanic" in the title, lol. The Marina which listed the ski said they had oiled the cylinders after it was recovered but never run, so I knew I was in for a full rebuild. I drove 2.5 hours to pick up the ski and was glad to see it was in pretty good cosmetic shape other than needing a good bath. Sitting in a few feet of water for several days did leave everything in the hull coated in some nasty silt though.

With too many projects and work I'm just now getting around to a rebuild and figured I would document the process here since I'm sure i'll have some questions along the way. I'm planning a light resto-mod for the ski and will keep a stock look since the ski is in great cosmetic shape.

Upgrades Planned:
- Complete swap to 96 XP electronics
- SES rebuilt engine (Black Friday deal was too good to pass up and cheaper than I could do on my own + warranty)
- Factory spec II pipe with water injection, stinger, rec pipe, Rev limiter
- UMI Steering, billet finger throttle, and UMI style button housing
- Hump Seat with jettrim cover.
- Blacktip Lattice black/yellow mats
- 1995 xp800 single gauge hood
- R&D 85/88 nozzle
- R&D 3 degree tabs
- R&D Intake grate
- Silicone Exhaust hose kit from Nick
- Billet Exhaust tip from Nick
- Sponsons (RacerXXX)
- hot products bars
- PJS finger throttle
- hot products billet gas cap
- Billet fuel selector
- Solas XO impeller
- Koso dual EGT gauge with water temp and tach built in.

The MPEM actually survived with no water damage, but I already have the complete electronics from a 96 XP so I'll use those. The rear ebox had water in it and with all the silt on the wires I figured this would be easier than cleaning them. Also, the SPX only came with a fuel gauge and oil light so I wasn't sure if I could add trim and dream-o-meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the ski as I picked it up. It came with a brand new Poppy Cover, so I was really happy about that.
20150919_112043 (Medium).jpg20150919_112349 (Medium).jpg20150919_112407 (Medium).jpg20150919_112441 (Medium).jpg20150919_112506 (Medium).jpg
20150919_112437 (Medium).jpg

I pulled the engine over thanksgiving to send off to SES for a rebuild. The marina that "Oiled the cylinders" didn't even bother to get the water out of the engine. The ski did turn over with jumper cables on the starter and took a good 15 minutes to get all of the water out. My garage ceiling is also now a nice brown color :facepalm:

Ski after a good bath
20160109_214936 (Medium).jpg

I started the rest of the disassembly this weekend to get everything clean and ready to start the resto. Things got more exciting when my oil line block-off tool slipped off over night and filled the hull with the FULL oil tank. The rest of the weekend consisted of ridiculous amounts of cleaning to get that silt and oil out of the hull.

As you can imagine, taking a ski to the carwash in 25 degree weather while its snowing isn't all that fun! You also cannot see anything that you are spraying in the hull with all of the steam from the hot water.
View attachment 33690View attachment 33691View attachment 33692View attachment 33693View attachment 33694View attachment 33695

Is this the only gauge that came on the SPX, or was this the basic ski and you could add gauges as options?
113.jpg

Thanks guys. Someone must have removed the gauge at some point on mine. I did score a set of all 3 very good condition 96 xp gauges on ebay though for $45 shipped. Guy was selling the whole hood but he agreed to remove and sell separately.

Scott - I think out builds will be pretty similar, with yours being a little more modified.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about how much of a pain in the @ss it's going to be to buff around the lower hull decals. The gel is pretty faded on the lower hull sides so I'm sure it's sat in the sun under a cover.

For $30 for both hull graphics from pwcgraphics.com is it worth trying to buff around them? I'm really leaning towards peeling them.

Lol, it's so easy to tape them off. The under side off the hull buffs so easy.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Lol, it's so easy to tape them off. The under side off the hull buffs so easy.

I'd agree if they were all one single decal, but with each letter separate seems like a waste of time. Also I just noticed one "OO" has a scratch clear through.

I've been stuck traveling for 13 hours today lol so I'm so bored in airports I'm scrutinizing all my pics!

Ok, I'm gonna make it easy.

Run 2" wide tape from the from to the back of the decal in one continuous strip, 3 high.

Run your fingernail around the edges of the decal so you can see it.

Use an exacto knife with just enough pressure to cut the tape.

See, it's easy. I couldn't imagine doing it one letter at a time.

That's the way I was going to attack it but I imagine it would still take 30+ minutes per side. Mine is very faded in between the individual letters. Well I'll give it a try, worst case is I have to order new ones.

Also, I've been meaning to contact you for a set of sponsons. I'll have to send you a PM to get your PayPal info.

You can power buff right over the tape, that's the sweet part. It's going to take you over a half hour to remove those decals......per side. I've had great success with the harbor freight porter cable knock off da buffer. Worth every penny, just couldn't see blowing $120 on the porter if it wouldn't do what I wanted.

When ever your ready for sponsons just shoot me a pm.

Thanks Racer I did get the HF buffer this spring so am good to go there. I'll send you a PM on sponsons here shortly.

Thanks guys. Someone must have removed the gauge at some point on mine. I did score a set of all 3 very good condition 96 xp gauges on ebay though for $45 shipped. Guy was selling the whole hood but he agreed to remove and sell separately.
Scott

yep sure looks that way, we will have to get together and do some riding. I did find some seadoo racing right up by Detroit we could always hit up and give it a try lol

yep sure looks that way, we will have to get together and do some riding. I did find some seadoo racing right up by Detroit we could always hit up and give it a try lol

Definitely. Only thing I'm worried about is a bunch of new people bashing into each other especially after spending all this time on a resto, lol. Would be fun to build up faded nasty old hull and leave the cosmetics as a "sleeper", lol.

How is St Marys lake? I haven't been there in years but remember the algae was really bad back then.

I here ya there but , I'm ok at 1st yo just be out there and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll keep my distance from people, even if I'm last lol.

It's good to be onest, lots of big changes that's for sure. No algae since that all happend. I swim in it 4 times a week. It's a lot like Indian Lake. We boat some there to.

Hump seat on the way from Jess here in Austin but will need recovered. I was really hoping I could fit it as checked luggage to save shipping but it's slightly over even the "oversize" luggage limits.

I guess my new black friday blacktip cover is now useless so with that in mind where is the best place that makes a good hump seat cover?
Jettrim?

Hump seats deserve a good cover, get a jet trim. My humps still have OEM covers but if I needed a cover for a hump it would be jet trim.

Hump seat on the way from Jess here in Austin but will need recovered. I was really hoping I could fit it as checked luggage to save shipping but it's slightly over even the "oversize" luggage limits.

I guess my new black friday blacktip cover is now useless so with that in mind where is the best place that makes a good hump seat cover?
Jettrim?

I don't think you will have a problem unloading it. Jettrim is the top of the line

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you want to save on shipping, just have him ship you the foam and use your pan. WAY easier to ship and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back