1997 gsx skis wont start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

big island

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am a new owner of 2 1997 gsx jet skis and dont know much about them.One started up and ran a little and shut down and wont start.The other ran a I shut it down and it wont start.What is the procedure for starting?I pump the throttle about three times and pulled the choke and cranked it and It wont start.I am doing this on the trailer as I just got them shipped to me.They were in storage for awhile but are in great shape and well taken care of (45,55 hrs.)Like I said this is all new to me but it seems like there is something in common

Welcome to the forum!

Well, since being new to the forum and obviously new to the seadoo line of craft, it may take soem questions and answers, but eventually, we should be able to come up with some useful information for you.
You engine is the 787 Rotax, which is a very powerful engine. I think your system has the DESS (digital electronic security system). When you attach the lanyard, do you hear two audible beeps? Have you checked your fuel valve? Theres a selection switch for reserve fuel, on and off? What do you get when you try to start the motor? Does it roll over and not start? If so, have you checked to see if the plugs are getting spark? Have you done a compression test? Is the oil injection system still in place or did the previous owner already have premix started? Before I wait for the answers to all the questions, look inside the cover, you'll see an electrical box. Remove the cover, your MPEM (multi purpose electronic module) is in there. Check to see if any of the fuses are blown. Also, when you try to start the PWC, listen for audible beeps. Like I said, you should hear two beeps if everything is o.k. and ready to start. If you don't, I need to know. If you get more than two, count them and write back.................Hope to hear from you soon!.

I get two beeps,fuel valve on,no blown fuses,engine cranks (new batteries)but does not fire (like I said it did start but shutdown and wont start) could it be flooded? I did not do the spark test or compression test yet.How many times should I crank the engine with the choke out.Dont want to kill the battery

Aloha

Two beeps!

Two beeps means your mpem has identified your lanyard as the correct lanyard and giving you the signal to start.
How long is to long for a start? No more than 30 seconds at a time. I'd pull the choke out, roll the engine for about 10 seconds. Let the choke back in, maybe pump the throttle twice and spin the engine again. If your fuel lines aren't tight or if one has a pinhole in it, then you could be losing the fuel pressure to your carbs.
If no ignition, I'd check for spark.
Let me know what you get............:cheers:

started

got one started and shut it down and started it up several times,seems o.k.
The other wouldnt start,noticed low fuel light blinking,swithed to reserve fuel and still would not start,will try adding more fuel....any certain procedure to follow since I might have ran the hoses etc. dry

Aloha

CONGRATULATIONS Big Island. You made the 3000th post thus you will receive 2 FREE months of premium membership! There will be many contests to follow!

Congrats!

Congrats on the contest. You were the one who posted the 3000th post. You lucky duck!....
O.K...you said you got one started and the other ran out of fuel and your going to put more in it. If you ran it completely dry, then pull your choke up while your turning it over, no longer than 30 seconds at a time. Do this a couple times. If it still doesn't make some type of ignition, then check for spark.

Congrates on the 3,000 post!!....you might need a manual to help with the problem, and now you can look all you want. It might be a good idea to replace the plugs if the spark looks border line weak, or appear to be wet from fuel. With new plugs good, spark and receiving fuel it should fire up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back