1997 GSX Limited NOT STARTING!?!?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXLimited623

Hey everyone,
So I have a 1997 GSX Limited that just got a lot of work done to it before the winter... Got pretty much a whole electrical rebuild... new stator, new everything pretty much in that damn black box. haha... Also got a new Starter. So I tried to fire up the GSX and it would turn over strong over and over but wouldn't fire up... so I took the spark plugs out and cleaned them up... put them back in and forgot to put the wires back on! So I was just tryin and tryin to start the ski and of course it wouldn't start... so I noticed the wire problem and put them back on the spark plugs... but this time when I would try to start it the starter would make a HORRIBLE whine and screetches and just did NOT sound right.... would turn over ok for one second then make the horrible noises and sometimes would sound like it was just spinning...

Could I have damaged the starter from tryin to much? doesn't make any sense haha A starters supposed to be worked a lot. If anything I figured I could have drained the battery but I just tried to start it again after charging the BRAND NEW battery for 48 hours and still.. the HORRIBLE noises... any help would be AWESOME!

could be a few things, brother. The "stator" aint aligned right, the starter, if aftermarket, could be crap, thats the sound ur hear'n, and with you replace'n all what you said, sounds like, the carbs need some attention too?

Hey man...
Why would the carbs need attention? and the starters OEM... The guy who worked on it is certified and he said if there is any problems he'll fix it no charge... I guess I'll give him a call but please anybody with any ideas post them!

you replaced all electrical, and "turned" it numerous times, and never kicked over, unless i'm missed something in ur thread, sounds like fuel aint get'n inside motor, or was there never a spark?
Being oem starter, and replaced the "stator", did you remember the "woodruff" key on crank before install'n flywheel....just throw'n ideas, man.

Ya man I appreciate it... anyways it hasn't been started since last summer... and every year it takes a little while to start up.. the plugs were filthy so I was just thinkin that was the problem... so I cleaned em up I'm gonna get new ones but just wanted to get the ski started up... but I don't know the mechanic did all the work, he tested it and it cranked right up. So I gotta give him a call

Ya man I appreciate it... anyways it hasn't been started since last summer... and every year it takes a little while to start up.. the plugs were filthy so I was just thinkin that was the problem... so I cleaned em up I'm gonna get new ones but just wanted to get the ski started up... but I don't know the mechanic did all the work, he tested it and it cranked right up. So I gotta give him a call

have you tried start'n since, or that noise, is there, everytime you hit button? If its "sometimes" noise, poor gas down carb/arrestor, see if she fires.

I just went out and tried again... and man that starters toast... It's gonna need a new one... not a good way to start out all this great weather we're havin down here

no, you don't have to pull the motor. all you have to do is remove the airbox, but you have to unbolt the black elec box(2 on top, 1 inside) to get the airbox out, then take the 2 starter bolts and ground bolt off, wiggle and pull the starter will slide out.

this is the 97.5 GSXL, correct? 951 motor white or silver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back