1997 787 xp pto repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hu???

The PTO is threaded onto the crank shaft. If it's "slipping"... then buy a new one. But, in all my years of playing with seadoo... I can't ever remember hearing that someone ripped out the threads. Normally... the splines get ripped out, from being out of align, and not being greased.

Its an xp....the pto and the coupler for the drive shaft are 2 pieces held together by a rubber ring.... the rubber had failed and is slipping under torque

Its a pressed together part...the whole prat is one piece as far as I know. What rubber adapter are you talking about?

Its an xp....the pto and the coupler for the drive shaft are 2 pieces held together by a rubber ring.... the rubber had failed and is slipping under torque

the rubber coupler is there for a reason, why not just re-align the engine and replace the rubber coupler?

Click on the link in my last post, you'll see the parts diagram, it's part no. 23. From your description it's very hard to understand what you want to do. Use the parts diagram to identify the part(s) you want to bolt together or replace or drill. I'm probably not understanding your question.

Lou

Its the pto....in 1997 the coupler is pressed into the pto with a rubber ring that is prone to failed as it ages . They only did this in 97...in 1998 the coupler is bolted to the pto instead of being pressed...

I want to know if anyone has just retrofitted to old style by drilling and bolting to make it like the newer design.....and no....the newer design won't fit this engine

Click on the link in my last post, you'll see the parts diagram, it's part no. 23. From your description it's very hard to understand what you want to do. Use the parts diagram to identify the part(s) you want to bolt together or replace or drill. I'm probably not understanding your question.

Lou

i think he's talking about a 97 xp with the yamaha style driveshaft with rubber guibos on both ends, although he doesn't seem to be listening.

I want to know if anyone has just retrofitted to old style by drilling and bolting to make it like the newer design.....and no....the newer design won't fit this engine

the 98 xp has a different engine all together. you said the rubber is shot and slipping, you should replace the rubber coupler, it is made to allow for some movement between the engine and pump

EDIT: i'm looking at the shop manual right now, and the PTO screws on just the same as the other models, it just uses a different PTO than the other models that mates to the driveshaft coupler.

Last edited by a moderator:
4.gif

which part number on this diagram are you talking about, the PTO doesn't have any rubber pressed onto it, the bumper that goes inside and the coupler are replaceable. so WTF are you on about?

Make this easy post a dang picture of what you are talking about since you think no one knows what they are talking about.

Yes... but the PTO is still threaded to the engine. So... I guess I'm not understanding what part is slipping.

Have you even looked at the parts diagram that was posted? This is from the SeaDoo official parts manual, it's the way your ski was built. If your ski is different then maybe the previous owner modified the drive system or used an unknown aftermarket part.

Since you won't cooperate by giving answers to our questions or posting a picture, I'm out of here, good luck with your project.

Lou

OK...for those who do not know....the pto on a 1997xp is actually 2:pieces... the outer part screws to the engine crank shaft... on the other side there are four dog ears "coupler" the connects to the intermediate shaft via rubber bushing the resembles a flower...those dog ears are actually a seperate piece that is machine pressed into the pto with a rubber bushing..no mechanical connection like they did with the 1998 xp with the 951 engine... where the dog ears "coupler" is bolted and not part of the pto

4.gif

which part number on this diagram are you talking about, the PTO doesn't have any rubber pressed onto it, the bumper that goes inside and the coupler are replaceable. so WTF are you on about?
Its the PTO....go put one in your hand and you'll know WTF I'm talking about. You re not going to see it in your book the pro is machine
pressed from 2 pieces....there's a rubber groumet that fails ...like a slipped harmonic balencer on a car engine...

Have you even looked at the parts diagram that was posted? This is from the SeaDoo official parts manual, it's the way your ski was built. If your ski is different then maybe the previous owner modified the drive system or used an unknown aftermarket part.

Since you won't cooperate by giving answers to our questions or posting a picture, I'm out of here, good luck with your project.

Lou

I looked.....and I'm telling u its the pto...you must never have seen one in person
or you would understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back