1996 seadoo xp wont crank over or start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

vaser21

hello all, so me and my buddy picked up a 1996 seadoo xp this weekend for really cheap the 800 engine model.. ok so the guy who sold it to us said he was riding it turned it of then it wouldn't start again,, so we took a chance on it. so i plug the key in with a fresh strong battery no beeps, but some lights go on the vts gauges goes up. i press the start button and nothing nothing happens at all, it seems tho that if i leave the key in for a more that fourty seconds those lights turn of, So next i move to the solenoid, i jumped it with a screw driver and it cranked, so then i pulled the connector off that goes into the solenoid off and with a test light i checked if those wires got power when i hit the start button, they didnt when i hit the start button, i am also noticing a 5a fuse blowing in the black box in the back, the same place where the solenoid is

sooo what do you think guys? where should i go from here?
appreciate any inputt
thanksss

I would normally say that you have a bad solenoid, but I'm not sure what the 5A fuse does. I'm guessing it's in the start circuit, when you replace it does it blow again? I've looked on the wiring diagram and can only find a 15A in the starting circuit. Usually when you jump the terminals on the solenoid and the engine turns over it's the solenoid.

As far as the gauges go what you're seeing is normal behavior. The buzzer is probably bad, I've had success by just wrapping the buzzer with the handle of a screwdriver. Had one from 3 years ago that's still working.

I'll look further, if I find anything I'll post back later.

Lou

ok sound good thanks comrad thank you so much, the 5a fuse is in the back black box where the solenoid is, i think maybe the guy before me tried to jump it and may have messed something up, but another thing, when i hit the start button shouldnt i see power or a voltage at that yellow wire that goes into the solenoid? i was reading up on how some people jumped there skis and then fried the mpem and kept on having a 5a fuse blow, im just trying to consider all things and try to figure out whats causing the problem. oh and can i take the solenoid out of my 1995 seado xp 720 and put it in this one to test it?

once again thanks!!!!!

These are just automotive type fuses, there are two spare fuses in the MPEM box, a 5A and a 15A. It would be something if that's all it was. The 5A fuse you read about is in the MPEM box.

The solenoids are the same for both ski's in fact it's the same solenoid for all 2-stroke seadoo's.

Lou

wonderfull i am going to switch the solenoids now and will report back on what i find.. and if this does anything for ya i noticed that that 5a fuse feeds of the battery positive side of the solenoid, ok im going to the garage now hopefully that sucker cranks

Ok guys so I went out and switched the solenoids.. Nothing still the same shit... Any ideas on where I should go from here?? Thanks again guys

It's not your solenoid if you don't get voltage when you press the start button at the signal wire which you said you're not. Check your fuses in the front electrical box. If all good, check your start button for continuity.

If gauges light up and no beeps, your beeper is probably bad.

Ok all fuses are goood.. Think I should move to the start buttone.. How do I check it? I have and am very familiar witha multimeter

Simple switch, yellow/red and black wire under hood in a 2 wire connector, check continuity when pressed.

Ok guys, I checked the switch and its working correctly... Still not working.. Any idea what direction I should head now?

Thanks

When you replaced the 5A fuse in the rear electrical box, did it blow again or is it O.K.?

Lou

It's not your solenoid if you don't get voltage when you press the start button at the signal wire which you said you're not. Check your fuses in the front electrical box. If all good, check your start button for continuity.

If gauges light up and no beeps, your beeper is probably bad.

Jeff,

Did you see the original post the question about the 5A fuse in the rear elec. box? I can't find it on the wiring diagram. Do you know what it does?

Lou

That fuse that keeps popping has a red wire coming of the solenoide then out of the fuse is a red white and blue wire

O.K., I almost hate to admit this, but since I couldn't find anything in the SeaDoo service manual, I checked the Clymer manual. There appears to be a fuse (it doesn't specify the amperage) in the R/Pr/W wire that goes to the VTS module. So you might have a short in the VTS module that is causing the fuse to blow.

Try unplugging the VTS module, replace the fuse, and see if the ski will start.

Lou

The wiring diagram is showing red/purple/white so that's probably it. See my previous post.

Lou

Ok disconnected vts.. Put new fuse in.. No start... But the fuse isn't blowing anymore... In the back of vts.. There is two cables one is the connectore I disconnected and one seems to run to the front

Well at least we know once you get the ski started you're going to need to work on the VTS. I'm about out of ideas. You might want to PM Bill86e, Dr Honda, or SkiD00, see if they have any ideas. Sorry I don't know what else to tell you.

Lou

hey guys could a faulty vts box cause my ski not to start?.. oh and also just found out my ski has a starter relay,, how to i test it,, maybe that is faulty and thats my prob

The starter solenoid is the same thing as a starter relay, since you have already replaced it with a known good solenoid, I don't think its the problem. And since you have it disconnected, no I don't think the VTS is causing your ski not to turn over.

Try taking the battery out of the ski, take it to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Also check the connections on the battery, there is a cable that goes to the solenoid and a cable that goes from the solenoid to the starter, make sure there is no corrosion, also check the battery cables, twist the cables if they crunch they are corroded. Also check the grounds for corrosion.

The only other thing in the circuit is the starter itself, but since the starter turns over when you jump the solenoid, I'm thinking it's not the starter.

Did you try PM'ing any of those guys?

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Found it. Here's a wiring diagram of a 96XP, it's not real clear, but it is readable, and it does show a relay, kinda in the upper right center. I'm attaching the diagram.

96XPWiring.jpg

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back