1996 seadoo xp wont crank over or start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
a bad VTS will not cause it not to start, just unplug it. that is just a relay in the front elec box, the starter relay or starter solenoid(same thing) is in the rear black box. you need to trace the start button back to the MPEM to make sure the switch signal is getting to the MPEM, then trace the output signal from the MPEM to the starter solenoid. it is a simple circuit, try unplugging the plug from mag cover to see if that does anything, keep checking the fuses in the MPEM after testing. make sure the power wire red/purple to the MPEM is good and check for corrosion on the fuse in the rear elec box. use the wiring diagram Lou supplied above.

Some '96 models have 2 ground wires that connect to the battery. In addition to the standard battery ground wire to the engine block, there is a thin ground wire from the rear electical box that must be connected to the battery. If you have that wire on your ski and it is not connected to the battery ground the ski will not start.

Ok I got new mpem with three keys for 120 bucks... It came with the whole gray box upfront all wires and all the contest inside.. Not a bad deal right? So before I put new mpem in and I would hit the start button nothing would happen.. So I put new mpem in and I put key on but still nothing.. So I take key oFf and hit the start button.. It starts beepeing gauges light up.. So I look at the wires coming from key station and sure enough one wire had been pulled out of the connector.. So I plug that wire back in.. And sure enough I put key inpress start button and it crankedd over!!! But then it wouldn't crank again.. It goes click click just like my 95 did then I changed the solenoid and it worked like a dream.. So I'm waiting on the new solenoid and well see what happens... Thanks for all the help guys

Hey, Lou. I know you have a 96 GTI (we've talked about owning the same skis). I'm having an issue similar to the discussion here. I was riding along this weekend and everything was great. Suddenly, my GTI went totally dead. I pulled the seat and saw that the bolt holding the ground wire to the battery had come out (and disappeared). Brought it home and hooked it back up, but I've got nothing. I'm assuming that I blew a fuse. Does this sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back