1996 Seadoo Gtx Rectifier

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Flanigan

My sea doo will randomly bog down to about 3000 rpm's and 5-10 mph. Then I turn it off a couple times or let it idle for a bit, and it runs like a top for about 45 min. This episode where it bogs down only last about 5 min or less.

From what I have read and heard on youtube videos it seems to be the rectifier. But I cannot find it, its not in the same place as the xp or gsx of this year.

Does anyone know where it is located?

yes, front e-box. just pull the red wire from the rectifier and do a test run. if the symptoms go away that's your problem. battery will not e charging with the wire disconnected.

Have you already replaced the gray fuel lines and cleaned the entire fuel system? if not, that is where you start.

OK, if the ski is new to you and the gray fuel lines are still there, you want to start by following the advice in this thread. you want to replace the gray Tempo fuel lines first thing or risk losing the engine to a lean melt down. The gray lines deteriorate from the ethanol and plug of the carbs and selector valve.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...el-Delivery-Problems-low-revs-bogging-surging

also you will want to replace the small oil injector lines with 3/32" tygon tubing (purchase at Ace hardware or anywhere that down lawnmower/chainsaw repair, it is used as fuel line in weed wackers)

alos replace the pump oil in the rear cone (75W90), replace the inline oil filter, clean the Rave valves (O-rings probably need replaced), there is a sticky note for cleaning the rave valves in the 2-stroke section, and a good idea to add an inline (fram G2) fuel filter. also dismantle and clean the water regulator valve.

First thing you want to do is download a shop manual and read it cover to cover. (google seadoo manuals)

Jake is steering you in the right direction, be through and take your time to do it right without cutting corners, it's worth the effort to do this preventive maintenance and you will learn valuable information about how your ski works.

Also, you should make sure the fuel tank vent is operating correctly. Tf there are check valves in there to allow air in and they're clogged with fuel gum then the air cannot enter to replace the burned fuel and a vacuum pressure will develop inside the tank while running. One way to quickly check for this on the water is by loosening the fuel cap when the problem occurs and see if it improves the symptoms.

I appreciate your help. Sounds like I need to start from square one and figure out what has been done and needs to be done.

those are all pretty much routine maintenance things that need done periodically (except changing the fuel lines) so just do them all. also do you know what oil the previous owner was using?

some additional maintenance
- of course you want to change the spark plugs
- also twist the boot off the plug wire, cut 1/4" off the wire to assure good spark and twist the boot back on.

some additional maintenance
- of course you want to change the spark plugs
- also twist the boot off the plug wire, cut 1/4" off the wire to assure good spark and twist the boot back on.

I changed the spark plugs, thinking it may be the issue. So I should cut the wire itself back, Ill take a look at it tonight.

I changed the spark plugs, thinking it may be the issue. So I should cut the wire itself back, Ill take a look at it tonight.
your first goal is to change the gray fuel lines and clean the carbs, fuel selector, fuel filter/water seperator. Until you do that you are chasing your tail.

your first goal is to change the gray fuel lines and clean the carbs, fuel selector, fuel filter/water seperator. Until you do that you are chasing your tail.

My real first goal is to figure out where all that stuff is. I went home on lunch and found out that I still have the gray lines.

The best advice I can give you is to download a service manual for your ski. You can get one from this site if you join as a premium member, or you can just google for one.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back