1996 Seadoo GTX multiple issues, new to forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertooold

Hello, I recently purchased a 96 GTX with only 59 hours on it. I have replace all fuel lines and carbs to resolve the common gelling issue. I also changed jet pump oil, it was getting water in due to faulty seal. Ran ski 3 times, runs O/K, top speed is about 50mph. I took the ski out yesterday, and it feels like the RPM'S are going higher than in the past few rides, based on the engine speed. It is showing 5,000 rpm's at 30mph. Now, not sure if this is an issue, but I have been using Yamalube injection oil, as the former owner gave this to me and said he was using this prior to selling it to me. Another issue is the hour meter on the display when selected through mode button, just shows flashing dashes or lines across it. I was able to verify the hours on the ski by bringing it to the dealership when I needed to have keys programmed. Last issues is this. Even though the ski has low hours, it feels like it takes a long time to "spool up" as I would call it. More so when doing tight turns or hole shots. I inspected the prop and wear ring when I serviced the jet pump, all were in good shape and no excessive wear on the ring was found a that time. I do however, hear a slight whinning noise from the rear of the ski when accelerating, in water of course, is this normal? I am a diesel engine technician by trade, but to be honest, these ski's are all new to me. I look forward to any and all help.

P.S. I hope I can help others in the future, as I learn more about these unique toys. :)

Thanks again, and God Bless.

Sincerely,
Nevertooold

Let's start with something easy. I do not know the composition of the oil you are using, but the 787 engine is meant to run on XPS Synthetic Oil with the emphasis on Synthetic. There have been many problems caused by using other in these engines. Some may disagree with me but I have always had the best success by using what the manufacturer recommends.

What exactly did you do to the carbs?

Hello,
The carbs were purchased as "reconditioned" as they were listed as on EBAY when I purchased them. I did not take them apart to inspect them, as they were allegedly gone through by a reputable seller whom deals with Seadoo parts specifically. When I purchased this ski, I took it out to the lake, which is when I experienced the engine bogging down, and not wanting to take fuel. That's when I discovered this forum, and quickly found the gelling issue. I removed ALL fuel components to include the fuel tank to be cleaned. Replaced all fuel hoses, clamps, both carbs, filters and cleaned the fuel selector valve. After I installed the carbs, I adjusted the L/S adjustments and took to the lake. The ski does start right up, but does hesitate when accelerating out of the hole, which may be related to high speed adjustments from what I have read here today on other posts. As for the injection oil, the Yamalube product was rated API-TC according to jug. I am now very nervous about the previous owners recommendation. I will remove the injection tank, clean and reinstall, replace the in-line filter, reinstall tank with Bombardie injection oil and retest. Do you have any other recommendations in regards to this, or any of my other issues? I really appreciate your time, and understanding with my Newbie knowledge.

Thanks again,
Sincerly, Nevertooold

Last edited by a moderator:
You should take out the Rave valves and inspect and clean. They get built up with oil sludge and can cause the raves to stick. Also check o-rings on the valves and bellows for proper operation. I have two of these ski's and one has over 200 hundred hours and still shows 58-59mph indicated. My other ski was only running 50mph like yours and it had gummed up raves. hth's.

At the risk of sounding redundant I think you should use Synthetic oil ,maybe that is what you said you were going to do. Did you clean the fuel filter under the hood? I am going to assume that you have done a compression check and that all is well there. I think it might be time for you to do a plug chop and read the plugs. It is extremeley important that these engines don't run to lean as they will eat themselves. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I feel confident that your issues are curable.

Just got a '97 a few weeks ago and been going through all the usual stuff as well. As far as speed mine topped out at 56 on the memory and is rolling 48-52 right now. I need a new wear ring, just hoping to finish out the season on it.

Have had no other issues with it so far (knock, knock, knock) other than the fuel gauge not working and the good shock not holding.

Nice Doo, welcome!

The carbs need to come off, and everything internal needs checked. If they are jetted wrong, you could be killing your engine.

What's the compression on the engine?

Hello again all,
Yes I cleaned the underhood fuel filter during the gelling issue repair. The Yamalube is API-TC synthetic blend, and will be dealt with as I stated in my last post. I appreciate everyone's input and will post updates and hopefully resolution in the next week. The biggest problem is, the ski is at the lake and I am not. :( I will tow the ski home and update ASAP! Thanks again all, and have a Blessed week and safe 4th Holiday.

Sincerely,
Nevertooold

I have never checked the compression, but I will check that as well as soon as I get the ski back to the house. I have the tooling, just need the ski. I should be looking for 145-155 PSI of compression from what I have read on this forum, is that accurate?

Thanks again,
Nevertooold

I have never checked the compression, but I will check that as well as soon as I get the ski back to the house. I have the tooling, just need the ski. I should be looking for 145-155 PSI of compression from what I have read on this forum, is that accurate?

Thanks again,
Nevertooold

Those would be good numbers on the compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back