1996 Seadoo GTX E-box problems?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out testing a new 1996 Seadoo GTX i recently aquired. It ran fine for about a half hour, then all the sudden the engine cut out. I took my key off, and put it back on. No beeps.... I repeated this process many times, and I could not get the beeps from the E-box. I towed it in with my other ski, and got it home to start trying to figure it out. I checked the battery and it had a full charge. I checked the fuses in the black box next to the battery and in the E-box, and they were not blown. Once i put everything back together and put the key on, i got two beeps. I hit the start button, and the ski tried to start. It still did not start though. I hit the start button again, and got nothing. I pulled the key and put it back on. I was not even able to get two beeps anymore. I moved the E-box around a bit, and it tried to start again. Did this many time, and sometimes i get a faint single beep, and the ski will not start. I think it is a short somewhere, but am not even sure where to start looking. Any thoughts?

OK,

I was checking the connections inside the MPEM box, and moved a couple wires that caused some clicking. I move are the four that are pointed to in the inserted picture. If I hold down the wires, the ski beeps twice when i put the key in. If I do not hold down the wires, the ski does not do anything...

2013-06-22 19.51.12.jpg

Is it time to buy a new MPEM for the ski, or is this MPEM able to be fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on how fast you towed the ski, you could have water in the cylinders now. If so, you will NEVER get it to crank until you remove the plugs.

Based on your description, you have a connection issue. Check the fuses in the box as they seem to lose their connection pretty often. Make sure the solenoid wires are tight and clean as that is where the MPEM gets it power from. If you are CERTAIN the issue is at the box, then I would remove the box and take it apart. They can come apart, just not too easy. However, they are BIG MONEY so it is worth your time to get it open. Look for a burnt section. If you find one, you can re-solder those circuits using wire.

Thanks for the response.

I did check the cylinders for water once I got back, and did not see any. I was also able to fire up the ski once I pressed on the MPEM wires a couple times.

I was not possitive that I could get into the MPEM box, but it is good to hear that I can. I will use that as a last resort though. I want to make sure that when I press on the connections behind it that I am not moving a shorted wire outside the MPEM box. How does the MPEM box come apart? Just slip the black casing off of the rubber backing?

I have yet to have the need to take an MPEM apart, as such, I can't help you with that part.

Others here have done so, I imagine someone will jump in with some details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back