1996 GTX - Ground Cable Melted Battery?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sethsmind

Pic attached.....

Ski is running great.....

I took her out for a few hours and then when I went to remove
the Positive battery cable like I always do the ground cable looked like
someone took a torch to it? Any help would be great ... Thanks all....

Attachments

• sbatt.jpg
    sbatt.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 41
Could be a poor connection, another cable that is bad causing that cable to carry all of the load, or a bad cable.

Unbolt the cable ends and wiggle them around. If they crunch or white powder comes out, the cable is junk.

Yea, check the integrity of the connections, and to be honest, that negative cable is a cinch to change anyway, so it's worth replacing anyway

Looks like the cable was loose and created an arc welder. If you were riding at night you would have seen a nice bright light! Good thing you did not have a bunch fumes in the bilge.

I was thinking the same thing Soccerdad.... Glad I caught it in the driveway and not BOOM! on the water.

I will check and if need be replace the Ground. The ground wire is under a year old. Can they fail that soon? Also could it have something to do with the smaller ground wire that sits on top? I will reply back here tomorrow after I check the ground. I read that the CDI and Ignition can cause this as well. I hope it is a simple loose ground. Thanks for the quick reply guys..... I will post my results asap.

Did you replace the negative cable with the same gauge cable as OEM? Not sure this would cause it to melt like that though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back