RESTO 1995 seadoo xp wont go over 7-10mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i recently purchased a 95 seadoo xp. When i got it it was in pretty rough shape, but i did some work on it and a year later here i am. I took it out once and it ran great for about an hour until it filled with water and i had to be towed in to the dock. I went home and drained the water, took the plugs out and turned over the motor until the water was all gone, giving it many breaks to prevent overheating. I then installed a bilge pump for the time being and to erase the water issue, as i wanted to get it back on the water one more time with my friends before they leave for vacation. I took it to the lake and put it in the water, turned on the bilge pump and fired it up. It idled normal and ran normal and once i got out of the no wake zone and hit the throttle it wouldnt go over 10mph at full throttle. The engine seems to be attempting to go but it just wont. It sputters a little while at full throttle but never took off. I checked the fuel filter and there were no clogs, the battery is fully charged, and the carbs were recently rebuilt. Im pretty lost here on what the problem could be.

To be clear,,,

Are you saying the engine is revving high, but the ski is mot really going. Like if you floor a car, the engine revs high but the tires spin and you don't really go any where.

You need to find the source of the water Look where the driveshaft comes thru. Ride it with the seat off and see if you get more power from it.

What you are experiencing is called CAVITATION. It can be caused by a few things, something stuck in the impeller, the wear ring is worn out (the part that surrounds the impeller), or you are sucking air into the impeller. The fact that you are getting water into the hull, leads me to thing that your carbon seal i(CS) s the issue to both of your problems. Take a very good look at the CS. If the bellows are loose and easily pull away from the seal, or, if the seal is worn unevenly, or, if the O-ring has broken under the top hat (Collar part of the CS). If any of those exists, that is likely the problem..

[MENTION=43374]Coastiejoe[/MENTION] I think you are right, now that I think about it my seadoo sucked up a loose ratchet strap and was all wrapped around the driveshaft, I pulled off every visible piece that could see but I bet a piece is stuck in the impeller and that's what is causing it. I'll check in the morning and see if I can find anything.

The 95 does not have the carbon seal. What can happen is if the carrier bearing does not have grease it will seize the bearing to the shaft and the proceed to break the thru hull fitting, thus allowing water to enter the hull, quickly

I have a 95 XP and can confirm no carbon seal. It has carrier bearing style seal that you should grease after every two days of riding. Every time you ride if in saltwater.

After looking for the water issue I remembered my trim did not work when I had it out. I took a look at the trim and when I pulled he cover off water poured out, when I went to the back I noticed this boot was ripped
93.jpg

Replace the boot and use the plastic clamps, not the metal ones like you have. You will need to test if just the motor is shot or the whole vts unit. On past skis, I would also pack the vts unit with marine grease and pop the cover on. Even if the boot splits, no water will make it past the grease ;)

Okay guys I changed the carrier bearing, the trim boot, and the wear ring and put it all back together and now it won't start, it's turns over real fast but it won't fire and it used to fire first shot. Now I haven't started it in 2-3 weeks but idk if it's something I did or it just lost prime

Ok,, you know you what's wrong at least.. See if the pulse line is connected. Make sure the fuel is turned on. Is the tank low enough to be on the RES side.

If you simply can't figure it out, pressurize the tank a bit and remove the fuel line near the carb so the gas flows to it. Then connect it to the carb and try again. If it still won't start, pressurize it a bit and look for a leak. If there is a leak, you are sucking air...

I just replaced all my fuel lines. I took them off at the carb and gas was pouring out of them so gas is getting to the carbs and yes my tank is full enough to be on res

If you are getting fuel to the carb but not through the carb, it can only be a few things. Pulse line, fuel pump, or a carb issue..

Can you feel a pulse at the pulse line while cranking?

Last edited by a moderator:
So I replaced the carrier bearing, the trim boot, the wear ring, and all the fuel lines. Took it to the lake today and it did the exact same thing. After seeing how destroyed that wear ring was originally I couldn't believe that the new one didn't fix the whole issue

Sooo it did the same thing.... Well cavitation is air gettin into pump before it is compressed in pump. Soooo a 95 XP which I also own has a pump extension on it. It doesn't call for it but you can put a neoprene seal on the jet pump to extension side. Also the impeller blades how did they look when you were in there????

What about the brass blades in jet pump? How did they look? Because if any large imperfection can cavitation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back