2002 GTX Won't Go Over 3,900 RPM's In Water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Broosedamoose67

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm sorry if this has been posted but I did do a search and couldn't find my specific issue. I'm new to having a PWC and don't know much about them. I bought a really clean 2002 GTX with 164 hours. First and second times I took it out it ran fine. It had a slight vibration and I knew it needed a new wear ring so I brought it to someone. They not only replaced the wear ring but also replaced the pump because he said it had gotten water in it and the bearings were no good. Once I got it back, I took it out and it will not go over 3,900 RPM's. I called him back and he said what he did has nothing to do with how the engine runs. Now if it's on the trailer it idles fine and rev's up to over 6,000 RPM's! It only bogs while in the water! I've tried new plugs but that didn't help. I checked the Raves and they are all fine. Can anyone give me some ideas to try please?

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I think he should have offered to take a look at it for you. What modle ski do you have? (there are 3) How fast was it going before you brought it in for repair? It isn't simply going to change because you replaced the wear ring. It should be faster and more powerful.

It's easy to get that thrust washer on crossed up on the fit if one is not diligent. I pay special attention to that, never trust it. :) You can take a flashlight and get under the ski and look into the impeller and determine if the wear ring and impeller fit is too tight but any interference with that should get shaved off pretty quick when the engine is started. Remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand. It should turn smoothly and easily. If something is dragging or it is tight, I'd look hard at the jet pump.

Generally 4000RPM is about where the Rave Valve come into play so they are worth looking into. Post pictures. :)

I have a 2002 SeeDoo GTX. The engine has Bombardier on it and I believe it's 951 cc's. I know it's a 2-Stroke fuel injection model. The first one I am told. I've brought it to a guy who works on specifically SeaDoo products and he said this particular ski is hard to troubleshoot. He checked for codes but there were none. He confirmed it's nothing to do with the jet pump or wear ring because he said it would act the same on or off the trailer. He is going to go over it today and take it out on the pond later to try and figure it out. I read in another thread with a similar issue that the Rectifier could be bad?

Good news for sure he is helping you. :) You must have the DI model. They can be a pain but I think the real problem is people generally would rather mess with a carburetor and hate components they have to test. Not many people have experience with this and many mechanics don't have much good to say about them but if one is mechanical these can be figured out like anything else. The run great when working properly. Rectifers are easy and pretty cheap to replace so they are a goto MAYBE. :)

Well, he got it fixed but isn't sure what it was. He thinks there was a blockage or maybe water in the rave valve tubing. He said it was acting like they were not coming in like they should at that RPM so he tested the solenoid and it was good. Then he blew out the tubing, took it for another test run and he said she ran great for an "old girl"! So he thinks there must have been some blockage in there. Why it ran great the first two times I had it out is a mystery. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet due to the rain but I'm sure it's fine now.

I'll says this, skis don't heal themselves, nothing does, so if it ran better then it wasn't anything serious. Could have been anything, bad fuel, etc... Glad the mechanic helped you out. Sounds like you have a good guy there.
As an aside that is about the RPM the raves should begin benefitting performance. Great news.

Back