1995/96 GTX Re-replacement of Gas Lines following Bad Carb rebuild?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SigEp368

With the help of this forum, I rebuilt the carbs (all OSD parts) on my 1994 & 1995 GTXs 2 yrs ago, and swapped all the gas lines out at that time; however, in a haste to get on the lake before the summer was over, I didn't swap out the fuel selectors (me = idiot). They both screamed down the lake for the last two summers, but this year they started acting as if they were running out of gas at WOT. I tried troubleshooting using the choke and gas cap diagnostic techniques, but the result was the same...full throttle to idle each time (note: the engine never died, just powered down to idle and would take off again). I never even had a chance to check the plugs or tune them per the instructions in the carb adjustments sticky. These units maybe have 3 hours on them since the last carb rebuild, and both have 150-155 psi compression across all cylinders. I have used ethanol containing fuel, but I always run Marine Stabil and each year I winterized them by draining the gas tanks and running the carbs dry.

Tonight I pulled the carb off the 1995 GTX and inspected it. I found faint traces of the varnish on some of the surfaces, but the internal filters were fairly white and clear of debris. I absolutely dread removing the carb on the 1994 GTX, so I haven't confirmed its current status; however, it was behaving the exact same way, so I expect it will be similar. To be safe, I got new Mikuni kits and will be rebuilding them and re-setting the pop-off. I have also ordered new selector switches to replace the original ones that were contaminated by the gray factory fuel lines. I have two questions that I need guidance on:

1. When replacing the selector switches, do I need to replace the gas lines again?
    1. If so, how much should be replaced (i.e. just downstream of the selector, or everything?)
  2. Once I complete the rebuild can I run an additional in line fuel filter, or does this cause more problems than it hopes to solve?
Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:
1. You dont have to replace any fuel lines again
2. Do not run an online fuel filter, causes more problems then it solves

Can confirm.....the carbs tend to be very temperamental.....especially in the older vintage skis.....so, grit your teeth, pull up a good dose of patience and methodically go through the carbs with Mikuni parts, the Sticky post on carb rebuilding, follow all the steps and you'll get them back in shape soon enough.....
REMEMBER....How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time......:)

Thanks for the advice. I will be honest, if I had to re-run all the the hoses, they may have just become dock anchors. I will get as much of the yellow residue as I can and hope for the best.

Thanks,
Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back