1991 Sea-Doo GT oil consumption

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcgill

This past weekend, I took my recently purchased 1991 GT out on the lake. Before going out, I filled the oil tank with Sea-Doo synthetic blend oil (there was mineral oil in it when I bought it, and I upgraded after draining the tank).

I ran about 1 tank of fuel through the ski throughout the two days on the lake, and last night when I looked inside at the oil tank, I noticed that I was about 3/4 of the way to empty.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that's a bit excessive on the consumption of the oil compared to other 2-strokes I've used...but those have been older injected motorcycles.

Should I be looking at adjusting the pump?

I bet the cable popped off. If the cable popps off... the arm on the pump will swing around, and it defults to "max" oil.

I can run a few tanks of fuel though my old ski before I need to add oil.

Was it smoking? When the SeaDoo oil system is working... you will see almost no smoke.

One other thing.......

Is there any oily residue in the hull? The oil tank seals in the old skis will leak, and the bailers will suck it out.

If the ski is going to sit for a while... clean everything, and check for leaks after a couple days.

I'll check out that cable.

It was smoking. Especially when at idle, but it cleared up when I gave it some throttle.

There isn't much oily residue in there, but I'll certainly check that one out as well.

Thanks so much for the help!

I bet the cable popped off. If the cable popps off... the arm on the pump will swing around, and it defults to "max" oil.

My cable popped off awhile back and I stuck it back on. I have it adjusted about half way. What is it suppose to be at?

That was sort of my question too....I was reading in the manual where it said that you have to align some sort of mark on the pump, but I'll be darned if I can see that mark as its tucked down under the carburetors.

I can say that my line has NOT popped off but that's not to say its adjusted properly. As soon as I touch the throttle, the line to the pump moves. I think I was reading somewhere in the manual that there is supposed to be some slack or something....I could be wrong.

OK, well it's amazing what you can discover with a ladies compact mirror.

I looked down under the carbs and I see why I've used so much oil! The cable to the oil pump arm didn't just pop off...the cable is shredded and there's no end to pop off.

At least I was getting maximum oil when I ran it this weekend.

Now, on to the fix. I guess I'm going to have to replace the entire cable to fix this, as it doesn't look like they separate to just let me fix the oil pump cable.

Ideas as to where to quickly procure a cable? 4th of July is going to be a busy weekend, and I'd like to not be smoking so much.

Thanks!

Nope... the factory cable has the ends swedged on.

I'd say to check ebay for a quick cable. BUT... I'll check my junk in the morning. I may have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back