155 oil usage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcs

my 05 155 85hr wake which i only purchased 2 months ago is using heaps of oil, like 1l/hr!
i had it serviced before first use, and was assured it was all ok, including good even compression.
from the beginning it would after a short while sound off the engine check alarm. stopping, then restarting would
reset it, only to go off again, no limp mode. after approx 2hrs run time, it momentarily went into oil alarm/limp mode, overriding the existing check eng. alarm, so i idled back to the ramp.
once home i ran it for a short time, then checked the oil, nothing showing on the dipstick, so took it back to the shop,
and had it topped up, hoping it wasn't filled properly on it's service.
used it again over the weekend for another 2 or so hours with the annoying engine check alarm going off. once again, after about 2hrs run time, a momentary oil alarm. shut it down, and once home i rechecked the oil level, and behold, not showing any on the dipstick. the coolant level is normal and clean. and there is no oil in the hull
i can notice some blue smoke at idle, but at 1l/hr, it should be pluming out while under way, yet can't see any!
despite oily plugs, it runs smooth, but max's out at only 6700rpm. it appears to have a solas impeller, so can't verify it's pitch.
other than worn rings(at 85hrs??), can there be any other explanation?
assuming i need to rebuild it, are these engines difficult to work on? i have worked on bike/boat/car engines, but totally naive on these.
any advice greatly appreciated
eric

Are you sure it's not an oil leak into the bilge from somewhere ? Any oil in the bilge ?

The 4tec motors are not known for oil consumption not saying it can't happen but I would have a good look for oil leaks first, driveshaft PTO seal would be my first place to look. Where the driveshaft enters the motor lift the rubber flap and wipe under and around the rubber boot thing with a white rag.

thanks for the quick reply,
there is no oil in the bilge, and if the pto seal was gone, wouln't the escaping oil be leaking through into the intake area?
i can wipe my finger around the exhaust outlet and it comes out oily

thanks for the quick reply,
there is no oil in the bilge, and if the pto seal was gone, wouln't the escaping oil be leaking through into the intake area?
i can wipe my finger around the exhaust outlet and it comes out oily

If the PTO seal leaks it will leak into the bilge no connection to the intake. Are you able to do a compression test and leakdown test ? This will give an idea of where to start looking if the engine is actually burning oil.

definitely no oil in the bilge.
i will have to get an adapter for my comp gauge as it's too big.
the service agent assured my the compression was good, but never gave any figures
i guess even compression doesn't mean they are down across the 3 cylinders.
i will also take a pic of the 3 plugs

Bummer.

Might be blown head gasket. Head rebuild?

Good luck

There is a small amount of oil in the bilge, but no indication that
3 or 4 litres has passed thru. The bilge is quite dirty from old water/oil/dirt so it's
Hard to see any clean oil tracks. If it is just a blown head gasket, can this be repaired with the engin in
Or will it have to come out. Probably better to take it out anyway to give it a good clean

Are you going to do it yourself or the shop?
You would need a engine shop manual. You could get lucky and find a free copy on the Web.
I think you can pull the head off and leave the engine in. Please use the search block in this forum. There is lot of information on valve replacements - pulling the head etc. Try to find the leak coming from anything else first. Do all other tests, deferential etc. If you decide to dig into the head, then reblog this into a removing the head subject. There is a lot of member that have done this. I haven't had to - knock on wood.

Are you going to do it yourself or the shop?
You would need a engine shop manual. You could get lucky and find a free copy on the Web.
I think you can pull the head off and leave the engine in. Please use the search block in this forum. There is lot of information on valve replacements - pulling the head etc. Try to find the leak coming from anything else first. Do all other tests, deferential etc. If you decide to dig into the head, then reblog this into a removing the head subject. There is a lot of member that have done this. I haven't had to - knock on wood.

i spoke to a seadoo tech today and he suggested the TOPS switch may be faulty, and suggested that may be letting oil back in thru the intake tube, so is this possible? i disconnected it and the throttle body is quite oily, but not dripping with it.
also, is it easy to remove the throttle body to give it a good clean?

Last edited by a moderator:
this may go some of the way to explaining my problem! compression readings are 190(not200), 140, 200
could be ahead gasket?

411.jpg

You did right by starting the other thread for the tops.
The first two plugs are burning oil. The compression reading? How did you get them? You might have had a gauge swing and not an good reading?. PSI (inches)gauge? The leak down check will help here - that is putting 80 to 100 psi of compressed thur a regular and another gauge showing how much the cylinder is holding. Pull the cap off the oil filler so you can listen and feel the air go by. Also listen at the exhaust..
The superC 215 compression is good at 135-145 psi. Need to ask what your ski's should be. Non SC should be higher.

i did each cylinder a couple of times just to be sure(psi). cylinder 1 confuses me as it has the oiliest plug, instead of the middle one.
i don't have the equipment to do a leak down test

The 05 155 wake has 10.5:1 compression, no turbo or supercharger. The SC 215hp is 8.4:1. So you have a much higher compression.
... The oil in the cylinder will act as a sealer. Use the engine shop manual and find the trouble shooting guide. You need to find out if there is any way that oil is being sucked in by the intake system.
...After that is exhausted...
.Removal of the head should revile what you couldn't find. If #2 is the problem, it could be feeding #1 w/oil.
..Anyone else?? Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this before??

The 05 155 wake has 10.5:1 compression, no turbo or supercharger. The SC 215hp is 8.4:1. So you have a much higher compression.
... The oil in the cylinder will act as a sealer. Use the engine shop manual and find the trouble shooting guide. You need to find out if there is any way that oil is being sucked in by the intake system.
...After that is exhausted...
.Removal of the head should revile what you couldn't find. If #2 is the problem, it could be feeding #1 w/oil.
..Anyone else?? Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this before??

Thanks alot for your input. Before i attempt to take of the head, i might squirt some oil down the bore and recheck the compression, hopefully it wont change. the local seadoo agent typically didnt much away. Better start reading up ohow to take off the head

Are those rust pits in the cylinder walls? Doesn't look too good. It appears like you took the pictures from the right side of the ski & there was some sort of fluid sitting in the cylinders at some point? Or that's a weird reflection off the crowns creating some sort of mirage?

the 1st picture has marks in it that are identical to the shape of the piston skirt.:(

Are those rust pits in the cylinder walls? Doesn't look too good. It appears like you took the pictures from the right side of the ski & there was some sort of fluid sitting in the cylinders at some point? Or that's a weird reflection off the crowns creating some sort of mirage?

the 1st picture has marks in it that are identical to the shape of the piston skirt.:(

the area i outlined is pitting, same shape on all 3 bores, highlighting the lean on the engine. deep enough to file your fingernails. i doubt a hone will clean them up
131.jpg

It looks to me like the engine ingested some water & then was just left to sit. It would appear this needs to come apart :(

Next is remove the engine.
. . Could send it to a engine machine shop. See what they suggest. Or, look into buying a new or rebuilt engine - short block. I don't how Australia's market for parts will be. Maybe some of our forum member will have good ideas.
Start a new thread. "Engine rebuild 05 G** 155' 85 hrs oil usage, low comp deep pitted cylinder." Then fill in info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back