1503 4tec, code P0344 (cam shaft phase missing)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

MolsonB

Hello! This is fun.

Last year we were breaking the ground strap of the spark plug in Cyl2. I figured the previous owner tried to fix it and reused the torque-to-yield head bolts, probably letting coolant bypass into the cyl causing problems. So I just got ARP headstuds instead (and new head gasket).

Put everything back together, and the engine would fire, but not start. The timing was off a tooth, so re-timed. Have the actual crank locking tool, but the cam locking we improvised with a bolt. Did a better job at it the second time with a tight fitting rod. The cam markings are level with the head.

I have no clue what happen, but now it won't even fire (spark) and comes up with P0344 - Cam phase sensor signal missing.

Crank sensor reads 900ohms and creates ~2V AC when cranking. Continuity to ECU
Cam sensor reads 12volts with missing tooth and 0volts on tooth. Pinned my oscilloscope to back of ECU wire, and see the cranking waveform going into the ECU

Anyone have any insight? Other then taking it to the dealer to check the ECU with their B.u.D.s ???

... I have no clue what happen, but now it won't even fire (spark) and comes up with P0344 - Cam phase sensor signal missing.

Crank sensor reads 900ohms and creates ~2V AC when cranking. Continuity to ECU
Cam sensor reads 12volts with missing tooth and 0volts on tooth. Pinned my oscilloscope to back of ECU wire, and see the cranking waveform going into the ECU

Anyone have any insight? Other then taking it to the dealer to check the ECU with their B.u.D.s ???

While I am new to the 4-tec, what your are seeing for that sensor sounds right. It is acting like a tach pickup sensor that counts gear teeth. The CPS sensor has a digital square wave output according to the schematic. That sensor is connected directly to the ECU. Sounds like a bigger problem exists. Good luck.

Back