2006 RXT - P0344 code

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TplusR

Here's the issue...just looking for opinions/experiences...

2006 RXT....11 hours on the clock (yes, only 11...wasn't used from 2006 til last month)

Yesterday after 3 hours of hard riding it stalled and threw a Check Engine light with code P0344 which is "cam phase sensor signal missing"

Pulled the valve cover and checked the timing chain. It's not broken or damaged, looks perfect. Also pulled the plug on the sensor and used some dielectric grease in there. Didn't help.

Ski will not start but does turn over....

Ordered a new cam sensor this morning....

Is it possible the sensor just went bad? Almost seems too good to be true....

Sensors do simply fail. But most are testable. Almost every "triggering" type sensor puts out A/C voltage. Test for a pulse while cranking.

I replaced the camshaft sensor last night and the ski will still not start. Also still getting the MAINT warning on the gauges with the key in. I'm very good mechanically but not when it comes to testing ohms, voltage, continuity, etc etc.

I'll have to call my jet ski guy and have him come by and do those sort of tests

Ok so I did a compression test and it turns out that I have no compression in 2 of the 3 cylinders so I pulled the valve cover again and found that the timing chain had broken. I missed it the first time because it was hung up on the sprocket and didn't come loose when I pulled on it, but today it came loose and confirmed that it had broken. The lack of compression in 2 cylinders also means that I bent some valves when the chain broke which is to be expected.

I'm having the motor pulled and torn down tomorrow to assess the damage. Not going to be a cheap repair but since I just bought the ski I will most likely foot the bill to get it running right.

Disappointed to say the least but it is what it is. These things happen.....

Can anyone share their experience with SBT rebuilt motors? Thinking about going with a rebuilt motor and core swap instead of having mine rebuilt. Might not really save me much money because I am not doing the work myself, but I know the cost of parts can easily approach $3k if I need to replace valves, pistons, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back