You guys are gonna kill me!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigmri

Guys,

Just got back from a nice day on the water. WE FORGOT THE DARN CAMERA!!!!!:ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack::ack: So, cant share any of the days adventure with you all....I'll try and paint the picture with words.

We arrived at Lake Tarpon about 8am and had the park to ourselves...it was awesome!!! This was the first real day on the Challenger 180 we just bought. While we did Sea Trial it when we got it, we experienced alot of cavitation on that sea trial but I was aware of massive silicone blobs that oozed out in the jet pump from the factory so this wasn't a massive concern to me. In retrospect I wonder if the original owner would have sold the boat had he cleaned that junk out of there?????

We quickly load the boat with our stuff and launch it. We idle away from the dock and got extensive low speed maneuvering experience on the single jet. It pretty much reacts just like my twin jet Utopia I sold except the Utopia responded quicker. Comparing the two, the C180 is just as maneuverable as the U205 but its a more sluggish response.

Idle speed the C180 is a little quieter and smoother(less vibrations) than the U205. The sloped down bow on the C180 is low enough to the water level that when your in rough wake from other boat you can take some water in when idling. Once your on plane the boat is well out of the water and completely dry.

Now its time to test the holeshot and test for cavitation. Once I'm out of the no wake zone I blast the throttle. By removing the Globs of silicone from the pump it has improved the cavitation issue tremendously as I suspected it would. Does it pull as hard as my old Twin jet 310hp U205? No way. Two jets just offer better thrust I think. No matter, the holeshot is acceptable the way it is. Eventually I'll install a Solos impeller for better low end thrust when the time warrants.

Now its time to test the supercharger and top speed so now its time to hold it wiiiiiiiiiiide open! I quickly hit a max RPM of 7940 and GPS top speed of 45.3 MPH. This is with four people on board, a bunch of gear, Wake tower with bimini deployed and full fuel load. I'm satisfied with this as its pretty much dead on what I should see. The U205 I had was a best of 52.8(GPS) with two adults and full fuel load. Not a huge difference considering how rare you run at wide open throttle.

It was quickly evident however that at cruise speed or higher speeds, engine noise in the C180 is louder than that of the U205. This is probably the single most disappointing aspect of this purchase. I assumed, a single engine vs. a twin would be quieter at cruise. Something to get used to I guess.

Now lets talk ride quality. You cannot cheat physics. The C180 is 2' shorter than the C180. You feel this when things get choppy. While the ride is still pleasant, its just not as smooth and refined as the U205 in same conditions. The C180 is a 17'7" hull and it is what it is. For lakes and rivers though its just fine.

High speed maneuverability is very similar between the two. Only difference is the U205 loses less speed in the hard corners and when in a hard turn in the U205, and you gas it, it just rips...The C180 is still a riot but just doesn't have the thrust of the Twin jet.

Water sports. Here is where the C180 picks up some points. Mine has the OEM wake tower and its very nice. The C180 has a removable bench seat center cushion that has non-slip under the cushion. This creates a great walk over transom design and ingress and egress from the swim platform is far superior than crawling over the bench seat and large sunpad on the U205.

Storage, The C180 has just as much storage only its in different shapes than the U205. On the U205 you have that huge sunpad that opens to a large open space for things like Wake boards, knee boards, folding chair and what not. The C180 doesn't have this big space but it does have extremely deep storage under two great doors in the transom as well as alot of under seat storage and of course the sole locker that can gobble up lots of stuff.

Trailering. Our tow vehicle is the Hyundai Veracruz and the C180 tows effortlessly. It has no brakes on this trailer and it doesn't need them. Since there is no surge brake you don't get that thud when stopping and accelerating away from traffic lights. Its a much easier boat to tow than the U205.

Fuel consumption. We did extensive wake boarding, knee boarding and just running around today and we used about 14 gallons. This is about what the U205 would have burned I believe. The twin non-supercharged U205 just doesn't have to work as hard as a single supercharged boat.

Issues. I've got a few now that I've shaken down the boat properly.
1) Radio reception sucks! The antennae is connected and even stations that are strong in my area sound staticky and weak.
2) When you turn the steering wheel at the helm, you can hear something creak as it rubs on the cup holder inside the helm.
3) Shifter is very difficult to actuate into Forward from Neutral and even harder to pull it back to Neutral from forward. So difficult that my wife was really struggling and gave up.
4) A few gelcoat areas where I have cracks.
5) A few snaps that are affixed to the gelcoat to secure cushions stripped and pulled out.
6) Optical distortion in windshield on drivers side.

That's pretty much it. The day was a lot of fun and just like my U205, I had to deal with getting the issues worked out and I'll have to do the same on this one. Fortunately I'm under warranty for a long time so it'll be covered less some $50 deductibles. Actually its still under the factory 1 year right now so I'm hopeful there will be no deductibles on this batch of issues.

Craig

First off congrats on your purchase...I have an '06 SE180 wake tower. A couple of things...

*Forgetting is one of the first signs of OLD-TIMERS DISEASE! ;-(

*Stock antenna is tiny and located inside port glove box, at least mine was...it was about as useful and effective as some tin foil and bubble gum!. I cured my radio reception problems with an after market AM/FM antenna for 39 bucks that self glued onto the port side windshield, some guys here thought it too obtrusive, it is 3/4 inch wide X 3 inches long...I mounted it adjacent to the aluminum divider so it isn't exactly ugly, routed the cable out the top of the dash at a seam, and up along the aluminum windshield mullion.. when you drop anchor across the lake to swim or lunch, and the radio comes in clear, most people instantly see it as BEAUTIFUL!

*I also had a noise squeak/rub in steering turning to port, dealer corrected not sure how....said he lubed it.

* I get too much glare on windshield, both sides, so I sit on my leg or prop myself up so as to view over the windshield at any real speeds

*My shifter always works effortless, must be a linkage or cable issue...

* I purchased a gel-coat repair kit at West Marine and repaired the dings I (actually wife) put in my hull while beaching the boat, worked very good, but color variations make repairs noticeable, at least to those who know where they were, if you cracks are in obvious spots, and if you will constantly be bothered by them unless they are 100% perfect, , have a professional do it...

* let me know what you come up with on the snap repair...mine are sound except two on the carpeting, I tried epoxy but it pulled out when I tried to un-snap for cleaning, there isn't a lot of meat to epoxy to, so I am going to try some type of toggle..

I have had my boat going on 3 years and absolutely love it...I can not say enough about the quality that BRP build in, and everyone that comes aboard is totally impressed that a small boat that trailers so easy, and fits in my garage, can haul so many people, do so much, and consume so little fuel...

Happy boating regards,
Time

hey man! every think has its problems! at least you still under warrenty, i have the 06 and i have noticed that the antena sux! i just added a little extra wire onto the pink wire under the dash and it fixed my problem! just make sure the wire goes down into the hull and not bunched up in the glove box! there is def something messed up with you controlls because mine is effortlessly as well. i love my 06, i am getting ready to pull all the stickers off the side and have some checkerd flags put on! stay safe out there and always have a blast! :hurray:

""The sloped down bow on the C180 is low enough to the water level that when your in rough wake from other boat you can take some water in when idling""

How much water is some water?

""The sloped down bow on the C180 is low enough to the water level that when your in rough wake from other boat you can take some water in when idling""

Haha this happend to me this Sunday at the lake, and my wife and her friend sitting on the front of the boat got soaked pretty good.

Water

Depends on how bad the wake is and how you hit them. When your on plane you'll stay dry but if your just idling and a succession on large wake comes and you hit them head on you can have some water come over.

I'm not talking about little wake....I'm saying like 2 to 3' stuff. If you hit them the wrong way the people in the bow will get wet.

Craig

6094_156451025832_635465832_3851327_5591761_n.jpg

at the lake sunday

yeah thats happend to me! i had to stop in the Charleston internation Harbor to let my buddy catch up in his 22ft sea pro and i got a bad wake at a bad time and it soaked my carpet! i was pi**ed! but its not so bad when your expecting it! you just have too learn how to hit them at the right angle! but i really dont understand why the front is so low? esp when you have 2 people up front!

The Challenger will never be mistaken for an ocean going vessel. Its a lake boat for sure. Form over function in the case of the swooping bow. This does not bother me to be honest. I'll just laugh at my bow riding passengers is all.

Craig

i def do agree with you on that! it is a lake boat for sure! i keep mine for the most part in the fresh water side of the inter coastal! but it is nice to pull up to some of the bars at dusk with the music and all the lights going! and the best part is, is when i pull my 18ft jet boat i a tight squeeze in front of the dock bars! i get some crazy looks! lol....:agree: but to do all that i kinda have to cut through the harbor... but its not that bad! i just have to wash it reallly good! but its kinda nice because the trailor never sees salt water. i can get into the salt water from the fresh water side! :hurray:

i def do agree with you on that! it is a lake boat for sure! i keep mine for the most part in the fresh water side of the inter coastal! but it is nice to pull up to some of the bars at dusk with the music and all the lights going! and the best part is, is when i pull my 18ft jet boat i a tight squeeze in front of the dock bars! i get some crazy looks! lol....:agree: but to do all that i kinda have to cut through the harbor... but its not that bad! i just have to wash it reallly good! but its kinda nice because the trailor never sees salt water. i can get into the salt water from the fresh water side! :hurray:

whats salt water?......:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back