RESTO Yes, Another 96' XP Restoration Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikidymac

Staff member
So, a couple years ago I bought a 1996 XP, 1997 WaveBlaster 2 and a double Shorelander trailer from a friend's neighbor for $500. It has been a few years but I am finally getting around to restoring the XP. I have owned many skis including standups and sit downs and even got out of the sport for about 10 years but I have always loved seadoos so when I saw these rotting away in a driveway over the years I decided to talk to the owners and make them an offer. The owner had knee problems and could not ride them anymore and was glad to have his driveway back.
The skis had been without covers for a couple years and the XP was in the worst shape. The WaveBlaster was in better shape so I cleaned it up, changed the oil and fuel, rebuilt the carbs and ran it for a season. It was fun to ride but maxed out at 45 mph. My son loved it because it was "fast" and sprayed water up from the back. I decided it had to go so I sold it at the end of this summer for $1,650 and decided to use that money to build the XP.

218.jpg
Here they are as they arrived home.

219.jpg

220.jpg

221.jpg

222.jpg

And here is the WaveBlaster getting one last ride before I sold it. And no, it is not photoshop.

223.jpg

The next thing I did after the first wash was to drain the fuel and add some fresh gas with premix. I checked the compression and it was good at 147/145 so I tried to fire it and it started but the rpm's started to climb so I know there was an air leak but it fired so I knew it was a good candidate to restore. I had previously sold a 1995 SP that my cousin's friend gave me because he was off to college and lost interest and parents were moving and wanted it gone so I cleaned it up, changed the crank seals and gaskets and rebuilt the fuel system and sold it for $750. So now my ski budget was growing.
I have ridden the SP's, GTI's, GTX's and owned a 1997 XP from new and with a Group K kit but never an X4 so I am excited to see how this thing goes.

The engine was pulled and after a leak test the rotary cover o-ring was shot and leaking so I decided I would take it down and replace gaskets and seals.

Pistons were in good shape and the scuffing looked fresh probably from my attempt to fire it.

Cylinders looked good with a little cross hatch left so I took it to my machine shop guy ant they were a little out of round but within spec so I ordered some OEM standard size pistons and hit the cylinders with a ball hone.

The crank looked good so it got new seals.

Then something unexpected happened as it usually does......
My ex-cousin in law called and said he bought a 1997 XP and ran it once and it sank on him so I said to bring it by. Well, he got scammed and bought a POS. The bottom had a huge hole that had been poorly patched and painted, the pump was shot, the engine had water in it before it sank, wiring had been spliced, electrical box and VTS had no seal. It was patched together so poorly but in a way the untrained eye would not catch it. He only bought it because he had always wanted my 1997 XP and "finally had one". I felt bad but tried to convince him to cut his losses and walk away from it and find something else. He refused and was determined to fix this one on a very limited budget.
I did feel bad for him so I decided to make him a deal..... I would charge him $100 in labor for the engine, shipping on the parts and my cost on the pistons and gaskets. So I said F-it as I was doing good on my budget for my XP and it would get a new engine. What he got was my good used crank with new seals for the cost of the seals and shipping on my new OEM crank, my used cylinders and new OEM pistons/rings for the cost of parts, rebuilt rotary shaft and rebuilt counter balancer with new parts, so a "freshened up" engine for dirt cheap.

Here is his going back together...

For me I got a new OEM crank, new first over pistons, sent the cylinders to Group K for boring and honing, rebuilt counter balancer and rotary shaft with all OEM bearings and seals.

On to the tear down. Damn, these things have a lot of parts...

Once stripped I decided to wetsand and buff the bottom (thanks JSG) and do a little gelcoat patch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the previous owner put the 99 Spx decals on the front and looks like maybe 98 99 xp rear decals. Nice looking project.

The last work was done about a year ago and since the WaveBlaster was gone and we might have a little water this summer in the lakes I was thinking about getting back on this project. Also about 2 weeks ago my 4 year old son out of the blue on the way to school said....
Son, "Dad?"
Me, "Yes?'
Son, "Where is the engine for the yellow JetSki?"
Me, "In the attic."
Son, " Oh. You need to get it fixed. I like the yellow one."

That was all it took, the project is back on so last weekend I started with the top hull.

I wanted to save the graphics even though the front are from a 99' SPX and the rears are for a 99' XP Limited I do not like the skis all yellow.

I have found that masking the graphics with painters take works well as long as you do not get it too wet when wet sanding.

Following JSG, I wet sand with 1000 then 2000, then medium cut compound, fine, machine glaze then finish with Starbrite Teflon marine wax. For the decals I remove the tape after the fine cut compound and hit them during the machine glaze and wax.

Finally I installed new hydroturf and new warning stickers.

The latest development is that my son has decided that the "Yellow" one is his but I can drive it with him. I get the "silver" one and mommy gets the "purple" one. I guess I can live with that as long as he lets me ride his.

looks good! i should have sanded and fixed my spx when i had the engine out completely forgot to when i had it all apart.

Thanks for the nice comments. I am sure it would not look so good if it were not for the tips from JSG. I hope to get some more done this weekend but I am also going to try to fix the motor mount on my XPL so the 96' might get bumped.

I'm not a huge fan of the pink and purple 96 xp decals. If mine weren't in such good shape they would have been replaced long ago. I just can't bring myself to molest this minty 96 xp lol

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

I have to agree with you, I like all of my things to look minty and original but they were already on it so I wanted to preserve them.

For some reason I love the stock look especially on an XP800. But if they are faded I take them off asap and go for the black single gauge, umi system look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job! I need to flip my xp over and buff out the hull I did the best I could laying on my back while it was on a stand but missed a few spots. Did you have a couple buddy's help you flip it? My motors out so now is probably the best time I just need to con a few friends into helping me, some beer will probably help in convincing!

For this XP i just had a neighbor help me flip it and lift onto the stand. The X4 hulls are not very heavy and are easy for 2 people.

I had to flip my 2001 XP on saturday and I was by myself and the neighbor with a forklift was out of town so I had to get creative. I put it in the grass then rolled it over onto it's top. Then I placed 2 ladders on each side of the back and and used a motorcycle ramp and comealong for a makeshift A-frame. I was able to get it high enough to slide the stand under and pull it on the rest of the way.

For this XP i just had a neighbor help me flip it and lift onto the stand. The X4 hulls are not very heavy and are easy for 2 people.

I had to flip my 2001 XP on saturday and I was by myself and the neighbor with a forklift was out of town so I had to get creative. I put it in the grass then rolled it over onto it's top. Then I placed 2 ladders on each side of the back and and used a motorcycle ramp and comealong for a makeshift A-frame. I was able to get it high enough to slide the stand under and pull it on the rest of the way.

Doesn't sound to bad, I'm going to attempt this weekend prob just have a buddy help me flip it.

I just used carpet when I did my 95, then modded a stand to hold it. I'm a one man band in my shop.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I turned mine side ways on the bunks on the trailer then rolled it over by myself. If you do this make sure to have to trailer connected to a vehicle. Also walk it over the axel when done then unhook from vehicle

I have my GTX upside down now. What a pig that was to flip! I put a belly strap under it and lifted it up with my hoist, then rolled it in the strap. But the friction is so high, I had to have my son help. Not looking forward to rolling it back upright. I don't want to mess up the freshly painted bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back