XP 951 got a sneeze !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flip6

Hi guys,

I have 98 xp. Got her going after a big fresh water flooding and now she runs well apart from every five minutes or so there is a hull shaking sneeze from the motor.

I presume she is misfiring and then igniting the fuel in the exhaust causing a back fire. Everything is very dry under the hood. During my many attempts to get the flooded motor going with plugs being removed many times I forgot to put the suppreser caps on the grounding plugs before turning the engine over.

So have i wrecked the ignition system and what is the check ?

Any other causes for the odd backfire i'm experiencing ?

thanks,

Phil

Timing or reeds...?

Could be a few things. You might need to look at your reed valves. You could have a piece of sand gravel holding one or two of them open. You might have a timing issue. Or even a possible carb problem.

I think it's probably going to be in your reed valves. Just a wild guess. I'm sure you'll get a few more.:cheers:

The purpose of putting the plug caps on the lugs is for Saftey. If you were to have
a gas leak, arcing plugs could ignite it and cause personal injury and property damage.
The backfireing is from a lean condition or the crank journals got out of index (180* apart). Lean=too much air in fuel mixture. Like SeadooSnipe says, many things
can cause a lean condition. Use soapy water and read your service manual. HTH

Thanks Guys.

Only had it out twice since the flooding - maybe 2 hours running.

The last session yesterday the backfire had gone for about an hour and came back in the last 5 minutes so seems to be sorting itself out. I'll just go through it and find where the water is.

Backfire

There is a electrical box in the front of your ski (plug wires and positive batt cable go into it). Remove the lid from this box and see if there is water in it. If so, the box seal is bad. Clean out the box...clean all connections and try her again.
Good Luck, DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back