Wife bought R13 trailer tires??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdoc13

I sent my wife to get new trailer tires as we are making a trip from phoenix to tahoe. She purchased 185/80R13 "(max load 1400) instead of the 185/80d13 (max load 1700) currently on the trailer. The max load is about 600lbs in difference. I'll be towing my challenger 180 with tower (dry about 2000lbs, not sure how much with fluids) usually with about 300-400 lbs of camping gear. Will these tires be ok? .. thanks everyone

Can you return them and get the correct trailer rated tires? They should be a ST185/80X13, the X being the proper load range. Not something I'd chance with my boat on. Trailer tires have a completely different construction vs. a standard passenger radial. Didn't the tire guy catch that they were trailer tires??

I'd get the right one's as well.

If not, every time you tow you will be thinking of the tires and whether or not if they will make the trip.

Getting the right ones is the proper response, but in reality, everything with a rating, is always less than what they are designed for. If you purchase a nylon rope with a working range of 600 lbs, it's probably been tested to 1200 lbs, then even more for tensil strength to see where it snaps.

If you were dealing with a few hundred miles, then I'd say not to worry so much about it. But, with the added weight you describe, the tower and loaded wet weight, I don't think I'd do the trip as is. The place you got the tires, should probably work it out with you, when you explain the mix up. Chances are, the place she went for the tires, told her they were the same and would work just as well....

I agree, replace them. Desert temps, even in spring, can build a lot of heat in the tires, speed limits are 65-70 most of the way, you could lose a lot more than your boat if you blew a tire at hwy speeds and fish tailed.... BTW, I'm in the Phx area, where do you boat in the valley?

Maybe this is old fashioned and maybe I'm showing my age. But I've always thought not to use radial tires on a trailer, bias ply only. I just went to the garage and looked and mine, they say for trailer use only, and the don't say radial, so I would think they are bias ply.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back