Which to get? Thoughts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

I've had my eye on a GTX Limited iS 260 for some time now, and am finally getting to the point where I am ready to pick one up. It also seems like a good time because a lot of dealers are getting rid of their 2014 stock and there seem to be some clearance prices.

Also, now that I've seen the 2015's I would rather have a 2014 model as I much prefer the Black/Gray/Red color scheme over the Black/Gray/Green, and besides the RFID DESS it doesn't seem to have any improvements.

So, I found a 2014 model for 13,899 (another dealer has a listing for 13,599 but they say price is only good up to 2 days ago, not sure if they will still honor it - it has been posted for months though, it seems).

While browsing CL I also found a 2010 model with a Zieman trailer for $10K even. It has 25 hours on it, and seems to be in great shape. However, from my research it seems like the suspension models had sinking issues that didn't get fixed until 2012 or something - can anyone confirm? Also, does anyone know of any differences between the 2010 GTX 260 Limiteds and the 2014s? From what I can find they are the same except for the color scheme.

As far as trailers, I did find a double trailer on CL. The guy is asking $1350 OBO. It needs to be repainted, but otherwise seems to be a nice Zieman double. My dad is also thinking of buying a ski to ride with me, so I think regardless I will get a double trailer and, if I bought the 2010 model, would sell the single trailer.

What is everyone's thoughts? One one hand that CL deal seems great - on the other hand it would be nice to own a model fresh from the factory (and to get the positive credit history from the loan would be nice), and the color scheme is by far my favorite.

PS. If I were to buy a new ski from the dealer, what should I expect to pay as far as freight and assembly? Some places (like Bert's) have freight at 1K and assembly another 1K for a total of 2K in fees on top of MSRP, which is insane. Another dealer I called a few months back in Texas said their combined fees were like $500, which is reasonable. However, when at Bert's looking around, a salesman told me "almost no one pays those fees" implying they can be negotiated out. I personally think all those fees are BS (maybe freight aside - I get they have to ship the thing from BRP to the dealer).

Each dealer is different as far as prep prices go. Freight varies to, but not a wide range. I have seen it go from $200 to $400. Dealer prep is kind of a rip off, you are paying them to do their job. You can normally do some bartering on that figure. I would avoid the "sinking years" of the iS models. HUNDREDS of them sank. I think it was the 2010-2011 years, but I could be wrong on that. TO be honest, I would avoid the iS model all together. They really only work on somewhat smooth water. And if it is smooth, then you don't need it.... What happens is, if it is adjusted to the conditions you are riding in, it tends to bottom out and you get slammed pretty hard, harder than if you did not have the iS as the two parts are moving in two different directions when it meets in the middle. Plus, they are considerably more top-heavy than the same ski without the iS. You get the sensation it wants to roll over. Trailers, Lets say you buy the one that needs painted. You will have hours into getting it right and good to go.So for the heck of it lets place a value of $250 of your time and paint and packing the bearing, checking the lights and what not. So realistically you will have $1500 into the trailer. I paid $1850 for my NEW from the dealer tandem trailer. I just feel that $1350 is too much. Either get it cheaper or not at all are my feelings.

Thanks for your reply Joe.

The suspension is something that really appeals to me, especially since I plan to do Catalina trips with whatever Seadoo I get. Turns out the exact ski I'm looking at is a 2011, not a 2010, but based on your reply both years have the issue.

Wow that is a good deal on a tandem trailer. From all my searching it seems most Zieman doubles cost about 2K + fees. After more searching I did find one on CL for about $650. Nice trailer from 2007 but seems like it was stored outdoors, based on the paint being a bit dull and the chrome wheels looking like brushed aluminum. But at that price I wouldn't mind doing a bit of leg work.

I really wish there was a way I could test out a suspension model...

If you can test one, I would STRONGLY recommend doing so. But to get an honest assessment, you need to ride it in some chop that makes the iS move to the two ends of the travel.. I know of individuals that have come away with their back being sore/injured due to bottoming out.

Don't forget about the extra work involved in working on an iS model....

Also, don't most of us keep our asses off the seat and stand/squat when riding in chop? I know I do! So why even bother with an iS???

Yeah...but when you are cruising 22 miles to Catalina, standing the whole time might get kind of tiring. I feel like the suspension might be really worthwhile.

I am not saying they don't have some substantial bonuses. For you and your family it may provide o be the perfect fit. For me and the type of riding I do, an Is ski is not for me.

Ok...but it seems you think it is worthwhile to avoid the slightly used 2011 model, even if it does save me somewhere to the tune of $6000? lol

I would confirm which years had the sinking issue. If it is the 2011, I would then contact the dealer and ask if they have a SPECIFIC solution or what they do with the affected skis. If there is a solution and it is a good/legit solution, then I would not be afraid of the more affordable ski.

I have a 2009 gtx 255 is limited. The suspension is brilliant. Im about 95 kg and have never bottom out. Yes maintenance is different from other models, but a good dealer ( or yourself if you do your own service work) will get plenty of access when the rear suspension mount is up, the body is tilted forward and the plastic engineer surround is off. Takes about 30 min but gives really decent access. Lifting the body off gives even better access than a non suspension ski, and this only takes an hour or so. I have a friend who has a non suspension model, we go riding together a lot. He regrets being put off by the complexity of a suspension model after trying my ski. Have fun with whatever you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back