Compression RXP 255

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

A_Bred

I know there is a lot of conversations around this, but looking for another fresh thought before I pull the trigger.

I need a motor for RXP 255, 2010. Last one I bought was told it was good with only 30 hours on it - after putting it in, and on the water made a lot of noise - compression test revealed they were around 80psi, and one cylinder around 65 psi (SBT motor - yes I know they suck)

My friend at his shop has one exactly like mine (2010) with 120 - 130 hours on it, compression test revealed - 130, 128 and 121. Motor has been sitting since last summer, so I am thinking with fresh gas, and oil and a hot running motor things will expand and seal better. --- So I am thinking I am going to get it....

Just looking for fresh thoughts on this. --- Good Idea to pick it up? Motors are had to find and even new ones are hard to locate that aren't 4 grand. Thanks.A

Well if he is a friend I would think you could work out some sort of price on condition terms, and a leak down test per a Seadoo service manual might give you a better idea of its condition. Seadoo does not publish any compression numbers or use it as a diagnostic tool for Rotax motors.

Well if he is a friend I would think you could work out some sort of price on condition terms, and a leak down test per a Seadoo service manual might give you a better idea of its condition. Seadoo does not publish any compression numbers or use it as a diagnostic tool for Rotax motors.
Hey thanks for the thoughts, I do appreciate it. I went back up to his shop and we ran another test on it that was more accurate. Motor does have about 120 hours on it, according to the manual (they do have one, and he has a hard copy off it), the compression is 130 - 135 (18.1) on supercharged engines (higher on non, like around 165). The motor tested as 1=128, 2=132, 3=130, the tolerance according to the manual is 15% ratio between all 3 cylinders, this motor has about 2-3%. It sounded strong as well during the test. - Even though not a full leak test, we did leave the compression tester on the cylinders for about 10 seconds per and they held. So for 1800 I am getting it. If there is a problem with the motor in anyway we will work it out. He stands by his word as I do. So, here's to a speedy summer on the lake.

Back