What is the best oil to use in my 155 4-tec?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadooman55

hello to all! i am getting ready to do a season oil change and since i am new to these 4strokes, i don't know if i should go full synthetic and what weight? I was thinking a 5w-30 mobile 1. But, then iv'e herd not to run a full synthetic? I don't want to run BRP oil because i beilive there are other better and cheaper brands out there that will do the same. Let me know what you guys think!:cool:

Full synthetic seems to be a no no for ones with super chargers, however owner's manual should confirm this.
I had a discussion with an AMSOIL rep at the boat show and he said they can match any of BRPs oils with warranty approved ones at a lower cost.

That makes sense i have herd not to use full synthetic in a superchargerd ski but i have a naturally aspirated 155 so i'm thinking a mobile 1 or amsoil full synthetic but what weight do you think will be suitable? i was thinking a 5w-30 but i know some new engines can run a 0w-30. What do you think? I lost my manual so i don't know what they recommend..

Here is some information on changing your 4-tec engine oil, all models;

1)420320920-$7.25
2)420850500-$8.99
3)420950860-$2.20

Oil filter /I use a K&N off their website.
1)KN556-$12.95

Oil 10w40 Mineral Oil or synthetic blend is ok on Super Charged models.
Be sure you use 10w40, marine 4 stroke Oil, with a API of SL, SJ or SN.
You need 3 L or 2.7 us quarts with filter for oil change.

Oil extractor from West Marine. Company Tempo, Part# 170200 Model# OB5 Retails about $50.00.
Change the oil when it is warm. Rev the engine to 4,000 rpm for 10 sec. and shut off at this rpm. This moves all the oil from the pto housing to the oil tank for maximum draining. Remove the oil filler cap and the dipstick. Insert the extractor tube in the dipstick 18.7 inches from the top of the dipstick pipe. Wrap tape around the tube to be sure it is in that deep. Next, extract the oil from the dipstick. (on pwc models only, the next step applies)When no more oil is extracted, pull the tube out of the dipstick hole and crank the engine(do not start) while the engine is in drown mode(fully depress the throttle lever, or on Jet Boats grab the throttle cable linkage at the throttle body and HOLD it open than crank the engine, get a friend to help)
Crank the engine for 10 seconds, Extract oil again, repeat crank extract 2-3 more times.
Keep track of how much oil you extract and add what you removed.

You will need a E-10 star socket or a 8mm,(6pt) socket to remove the oil filter cap. There are 3 "O" rings in the filter cap area if they are damaged change them. Check level, and go have fun. I hope this info helps.

Karl

wow that does help! so do you just unplug the coils and take the plugs out so it doesn't flood while you are cranking it or is there another way to crank it but not make it fire? thanks again for all your help!

Like Karl said you hold the throttle lever wide open. I am not sure how this stops it from firing, but it does and agrees with the manuals. I wire mine back for this as I work alone - I stay out of the kitchen and the chief stays out of the garage.

My 180SE with supercharger call for 10W-40. Amsoil sells both 10W-30 & 10W-40 synthetic for 4 stroke Seadoos. I expect either may work although best to consult the manual (which you don't have) maybe someone with the manual can give you the info.

yea karl summed up what to do nicley so i will see what i can do. It is at the dealer now to have the new ECM programed. When i get it back next week i'll change the oil and ask you guys any questions i may have. thanks again.

yea mine has a bad ECM because the moron before me decide it would be a good idea to jump start it with a power pack and its been delaying me from getting on the water!!! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back