well guys....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattydipps

... I might be hittin the road..

went down to a couple Yamaha dealers in looks of a FZR or a VXR and found a couple that I might bite on..

ive had my gtx for sale for quite some time and not even a single spam email.. depending on what I get as a trade in for the gtx, will be the deciding factor on if im going with the fzr or the vxr..

I absolutely love my seadoo but..... both seadoos ive owned have been nothing but problem after problem since day one.. I think it may be time to experiment a little bit..

if I cant work out a deal ill most likely stick with this ski until the end of the season.. ill keep yall posted on what happens..

Let us know how things go. Still need input to how and if the Yamaha works out for you.
.. Cheers.

thanks man.. ill let yall know either way what happens..

after my thru hull install I took it out.. two separate clamps going to my water pump broke off and it over heated and threw a couple codes.. not even after 6 minutes of riding there was antifreeze all inside my hull that was the straw that broke the camels back.. for the lack of a better phrase....

I'm not sure this is fair comparing anybody's old ski to a new ski. Even though in my travels I have noticed that the majority of rental ski's are Yamaha's. Must be a reason.

Lou

I got a real nice flyer in the mail from Yamaha,, I haven't thrown it away yet as I wanted to look at it.. Just haven't gotten that far yet. No way I am getting rid of my Seadoos. Way to new and too much money in them for that just yet.

all models have positives and negatives, all manufacturers as well.

IMO SD has the advantage on performance, and Yamaha on the comfort/reliability, at least speaking in general terms.

I went from all seadoo models to a yami and a honda at the present time, not for anti-SD reasons as much as general upgrades to models that suited my needs at the time. I'll end up with another SD at some point in the future, just a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
VXR FTW!

I have the VX and rode a friends VXR.

Night and day difference in the throttle response.

My BIL has a SHO and can't tell much difference. Didn't ride his to long as it was i the break in period.

VX is too slow for my tastes...

I've heard good things about the VXR, FZR, but if I remember correctly there are some FZR mods (plate ?) that kind of need to be done immediately, and I don't believe the FZR is ideal for Offshore Riding, but don't quote me on this, I just remember following a few threads here and there when I was looking for a 2nd ski.

I'm a big fan of the 1.8 NA engine, and if I went Yami, I'd definitely go this route and not with the SHO's, strictly for fuel economy reasons. (100+ miles vs 85 is a deal breaker for me) When I was looking, I had settled on an 08+ FXHO as my model of choice, but I never really took the VXR for FZR serious because they didn't fall into my price range being newer models.

I believe the VXR handles a bit better overall than the FX, but at least in my case, I was thinking offshore comfort, not hard cornering, but if I was leaning towards a sport model and stay on the rivers, it would be VXR. Otherwise, I think you'll be making a mistake at least not checking out the FX line.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know in some circles this is considered treason.

Attachments

• yosemite-sam-moustache.jpg
    yosemite-sam-moustache.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 23
Friend I ride with a lot has a vxr. His is much quicker, also a lot lighter. He has done a lot of modifications to it. Not sure all of them exactly but at least, front air intake, exhaust of some sort, intake grate, impeller, and ecm reprogrammed. In rough water he cant keep enough traction to keep up with my GTI. I considered one before I bought my GTI but the way the sea doo rides is a ton better. As far as technical issues, being a mechanic with 11 years of experience, yamaha's tend to be more reliable then most other makes.

again, i have nothing against SD... they were my first ever pwc and i still absolutely love them.. i think i may have just gotten two runts of the litter.. if i do go the route of a different maker, i still plan on picking up an old xp and trotting around with that, EVENTUALLY...

with that being said, its tough to not look at what they have to offer... a 1.8 NA motor thats going 65mph out of the box and has killer fuel consumption.. thats 2-3 mph less then what my gtx is pumping out with all of the mods i have on it... plus a 3 year warranty, i have none at the moment, plus the reliability factor..

i figured the least i can do is go down there and see what theyll give me for my ski and go from there.. i can still say no at any point.

just a little update to this thread.. its been a very, very long few days..

to make a VERY long story short.. i went to trade the ski in and turns out there was actually 114 hours on the ski when I thought there was much less... i ended up selling it locally to a buddy of mine who parts out skis.. i think hes planning on keeping it.. i went today and picked up my new ski... 2014 yamaha fzr..

Congrats man, I'm not a big Yammie fan but that is a slick looking ski. I will say the only thing drives me batty is how they re-use vehicle names, or maybe they are paying homage? I know you're gonna have some good times to come on that beast!

This is an FZR (a buddy of mine has had a few of these)

5.jpg

I wanted an FZR so bad before I got my two skis. I had a yammie jet boat with the dual 1.8L engines that's in the FZR. Hands down the best boat I've ever owned. Over mastercrafts and other big name brands. Problem is that my local dealer never ever gets in FZRs, FZS yes but never the 2 up :( Makes me sad. Your ski looks sick! Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back