Weeds in grate removal tool

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne99

Has anyone built a removal tool so you don't have tp jump in the water to remove weeds ? I was thinking of building kinda like a rake that has a 45 degree angle so you can sit on the sundeck and reach under the hull and scoop off the weeds. I got rid of my hydrosuck grate because I was another victim of this crappy idea. I still don't want to have to jump in each time or wait around 10 minutes for them to fall out.

You take the chance or damaging either the jet pump or associated parts by blindly trying to poke out weeds...

Karl

I don't agree. Usually there is a huge clump of weeds that will come out when you dive under the boat that is hanging down. If you get the bulk of those you can get on plane and then the rest go through the impeller.

I was thinking of a rake like end without the tines. Just solid. Scrape the outside of the grate and then hit the throttle...:confused:

I would assume if you shut the engine off, then just lightly "scraped" the outside of the grate, it would probably catch the "bundle" and free it up.. I get weeks stuck on mine ALL THE TIME and it is a major PITA.

I never get weeds stuck in my doo...but than again I only ride in salt water. Your not allowed to be in weed beds in the shallow areas. I stick to the ICW that is used all the time by boats so no weeds...or go jump waves at the beach in the Gulf of Mexico.

Karl

I have a channel from my cottage to the lake and i get weed stuck all the time. I use my foot and hold onto the grab handles. I have though of that idea but it also need to be portable....

Remove grate

Ive been running for years with the grate removed. I did this because i got weeds at a dangerous time, floating powerless toward a bridge and open bay.
I also keep a mask and snorkel for going under the boat.. but you never want to reach thru the grate while holding your breath!

Sometimes backing in circles clears weeds. Although the impeller is still turning forward, the turbulence from reverse clears weeds.

unclejay wow how does that work out for you ? I assume you must be very careful about being close to rocks ? I go to one lake that is very very weedy and I am constantly doing the high rev troll to deeper water and then going in reverse and then turning off the engine until the weeds finally come out. Somtimes it takes 2 minutes other times 10 minutes and sometimes one of us have to dive under the boat and pull out weeds. Its a pain because the lake is like 10 mins from my house another other lakes are 1hr plus. excellent lake to go to on a weekday after work. Does your impeller simply just devour all of the weeds without a problem ?? Maybe I will consider removing my grate before I go to that lake. The time it takes to remove/re-install the grate would be worth not having the hassles on the lake.

The one thing i found that seems to work best is rite befor i power up toget on plain i put it in rev and give it has much gas as it will allow and shake the wheel back and forth doing this seem to shake the weeds right out but gotta do it befor you try and power up. I also always put my doral in rev to make sure theres no weed on the prop befor i go to plain. All youll do if you power up is suck the weeds in further making them harder toget out

Grate?.....

Reading this thread, no one mentioned the weedless grate on their Challenger. I'm I the only one that has this. I didn't look it up in the shop manuals to see how many models came equipped with this but I thought it was pretty standard.

When I suck up weeds, I shut off my motor, pull the hanle, shake it in and out a couple times, push the grate linkage handle in the lock position and go. I don't have to back down or any of the other stuff......

The best part is if I suck up a plastic bottle, stick or ski rope, I can open the grate, dive under and just remove the stuff..........:cheers:

The one thing i found that seems to work best is rite befor i power up toget on plain i put it in rev and give it has much gas as it will allow and shake the wheel back and forth doing this seem to shake the weeds right out but gotta do it befor you try and power up. I also always put my doral in rev to make sure theres no weed on the prop befor i go to plain. All youll do if you power up is suck the weeds in further making them harder toget out

Reverse doesn't matter, because the engine is a direct drive and never spins in the opposite direction to help. Just revving it up a couple times seems enough to spit what ever weeds are stuck in there to shoot out.

Karl

Idea.......?

I think I see the theory on which he's working with her Karl. I think he's talking about a huge lump of weeds that are hanging down, that the backwash from the reverser bucket will create enough turbulence to cause the bulk to fall off.

But in my own experience, when I get something like sea grass blocking my intake grate, I can't create any thrust...........:ack:

I think I see the theory on which he's working with her Karl. I think he's talking about a huge lump of weeds that are hanging down, that the backwash from the reverser bucket will create enough turbulence to cause the bulk to fall off.

But in my own experience, when I get something like sea grass blocking my intake grate, I can't create any thrust...........:ack:

YOU got it snipe. my channel has lots of weed growth, i even got a weedsicle that hook on my small 10hp boat to try and keep the channel as clean as possible. But i alway get a big clump in it and i find if i go right to full power it sucks the big clumps in, but if i do the reverse and shake they fall right off then im go to go. my channel is about 30 feet wide and 4-6ft deep but i have to power up toget out cause it goes through a marsh
rogerschannel1.jpg
old pic on my gramps boat coming into my channel

Nice!

Man, the pix is nice........though the bow of that boat doesn't look like a Seadoo!.......:rofl:

I see the markers to keep you in the channel. The country side looks cool!

If you suck up a clump of weeds, the impeller should act like a garbage disposal and chomp them up, then spit them out. With the 4-TEC, you don't have to worry about the cooling to your engine being restricted........:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne99

I see your rake ideal How about a squeezie. You can get one at Home Depot.... The ones they use to get water moving on concrete floors..... You will have to bend the handle to curve under the boat, but it would be easier on the boat finish that a metal rake..... Just a thought.

First time I heard of a weedless grate..... are they an option,,, can they be installed after market.

Removing the grate

Running with the grate completely removed (be sure to seal up the screw holes or you sink)...

The way I figure it, big rocks wont go thru the impeller, grate or no grate - not enough suction.

Small rocks WILL go thru the impeller, grate or no grate - they go right past the grate. So, no gain from having a grate for rock handling.

As for weeds, they will fall out only if they havent wrapped around the drive shaft. If they have, then the only tool you need is a box cutter and maybe needle nose pliers with long handles.

The real risk of running without a grate is sticks. A long solid stick going straight in at speed might do damage, but Ive found that the engine just stops. You can hear the stick going in, so get off the throttle fast.

I understand that reverse is actually forward, but after 13 years of trial and error, it works... most of the time !

The grate will also keep plastic bottles that you can't see just beneath the surface from entering the intake.

Karl

unless your area is solid rock bottom and very deep id leave it on. I know if i was to take mine off id have a bigger problem cause if the grate is on the weeds will only get cought on the grate, but with it off the weeds will jam in the impeller making it harder toget out.

unless your area is solid rock bottom and very deep id leave it on. I know if i was to take mine off id have a bigger problem cause if the grate is on the weeds will only get cought on the grate, but with it off the weeds will jam in the impeller making it harder toget out.

wait till ya get a huge sea bass all shoved up in there!

screen inside the grate 2007 speedster

I am going to try and install a metal screen. Diamond type cutouts that will let in all the water but keep out weeds and sticks. Dealer did not have a prlb with this as long as it did not restrict the water intake. So I will have to try it out. Trying to take off the grate, the back three bolts came right out, but the one forward gets loose and then tight again ??? how to remove

The screen is a waste of time. It will either 1) restrict the water flow or, 2) clog twice as fast as a spaghetti colander. I posted a info on the bolt in your other post.

Karl

Karl is right

I tried a screen years ago, it blocks too much water the boat hardly moves. The openings in the screen were one inch square, so even that was too narrow.

I am now going to go for quick-release fasteners, so I can get the grill off fast.
Just haven't figured out how, yet. Might try threaded rods with wing nuts, dont know. Winter project.

wait till ya get a huge sea bass all shoved up in there!

that another good reason to keep it on..... also unclejay if you put wing nuts on you will increase cavitaion. The bottom of the boat/hull needs to be flat as possible. whats your reason for needing to remove the grate? Like i said befor a have to deal with alot of weeds and lilly pads and i cant see why you would need to go through that kind of trouble. what the area like where you boat?

The biggest problem I have when boating is there is too much water everywhere...:ack: So littletime...:rofl:

Karl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back