Wear Ring super fragile

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

xintersecty

I pushed up on a beach to eat at restaurant, I must have picked up a rock in the pump. So I push out from the beach and in two feet water, I hear a rat tat tat and I shut down.

I tried cleaning out the pump area and I could not get over 4 mph. I finally had my gf tow me to the nearest ramp (she was one my RXT). We race home; I get the truck and trailer and rescue my boat.

I get home and took pictures of the pump and the wear ring is gone!

2014-06-08 16.12.41.jpg
2014-06-08 16.12.59.jpg
2014-06-08 16.38.47.jpg

I think it's time to replace with a stainless steel ring. Any suggestions?

Yes I would suggest not using a stainless steel wear ring, or next time you could be replacing the impeller and maybe the pump. I have had great success with a SBT Delrin wear ring. What is the material of the OEM wear ring?

Lou

So when the spark blows a wear ring, you lose almost ALL forward thrust... interesting.

I would keep it factory, just because with stainless on stainless, the rock may not be the thing to give...

Seconded. Keep it plastic. They are designed to be sacrificial and very easy to change on the Spark. Perhaps it just saved you from buying a new impeller!

Seconded. Keep it plastic. They are designed to be sacrificial and very easy to change on the Spark. Perhaps it just saved you from buying a new impeller!

Love this forums, knowing me I would have stainless steel, buying plastic, just insurance

Just as a thought, when ordering it, you may want to order a couple 3 of them, as they def appear to be 'wear items' (sorry), but from everything I've read, they are supposed to be quite easy to replace. No idea personally, as I've never seen one up close, but if so, and you keep just the tools needed to do the job together with the extra rings in your vehicle, it may save your day?

Unlike the Spark, I can't replace a wear ring at a boat ramp. But I can replace a jet pump. I keep a spare jet pump in my box when I run my ski's far from home.

I am ordering a stainless steel ring. I have not done much at all as I have been out of country. So when I come back my new ring should be available. Looking at the pictures of the leading edge of the impeller, they are bit warn. Is it acceptable to take a file and clean up the leading edge? Also make sure there are no dings or bends to bend them out? I want to put the stock impeller back into the boat with minimal changes.

Problem with a SS wear is They don't really wear. They can wipe out everything out in the area if the impeller hits it.

Repairing and selling iPads, iPhones and Mini iPads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with a SS wear is They don't really wear. They can wipe out everything out in the area if the impeller hits it. .
On the spark when it chewed up the rock, It wiped out everything too. So on the spark I have to do something different. If it was traditional pump design with a plastic insert, I would agree. In this case, I was going nowhere fast. With a steel ring, even if I pick up a rock, yeap things get damaged, I will just have to clear out the debris and just go home.

Got my stainless wear ring!
2014-07-16 18.45.50.jpg

Cleaned up the prop leading edges. I had to bend two of the trailing edges that were damaged.
2014-07-16 18.45.54.jpg

Oh my, that is a tight fit and so nice!
2014-07-16 18.46.40.jpg

I'm interested in how this works out b/c I'm under the impression the clearance of a SUS wear ring must be greater than that of a composite one.

I ran a small test yesterday. I lost 1 mph on the top end. It went from 50 to 49. Of course that can be a lot of things. Mostly I think it's my slightly damaged impeller. I had to file the leading edges and bend two of the trailing edges straight.

This weekend, I plan to play around a lot with it. Yeah! I will let you know how it does beyond the 5 min run.

Got my stainless wear ring! Cleaned up the prop leading edges. I had to bend two of the trailing edges that were damaged.
Lookin good. The 12/17 Spark Impellers are in stock now if you need a new one!

Lookin good. The 12/17 Spark Impellers are in stock now if you need a new one!
Oh would love too! I have to spend money on getting my Challenger back in the water. I might need a carbon seal....sigh. So I will have to wait on that purchase. Thanks!

Back