Utopia 250efi dead

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gioakjoe

So I forgot to close my oil lid and was ridding around when I heard metal noise and turned the boat off now its seased up and starter can't turn the fly wheel to start the boat. Any ideas?

Its a 240efi sorry

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil tank in the engine is fed via pressure. So, if you forgot to put the fill cap back on the main tank.... it would not have not fed the engine. So, unfortunately, you probably roasted the engine from lack of oil.

Sorry

With that said... you should have got a warning horn before running out of oil. Do your beepers work?

No beeps I even have a mercmonitor and no warning was given I checked the engine oil tank and yep bone dry

Bone dry is not good. No matter the real cause of the fault, no oil is a deal breaker. Sounds like a transplant is in your future.

No beeps I even have a mercmonitor and no warning was given I checked the engine oil tank and yep bone dry

ouch...

Sounds like a previous owner may have dissconected the warning system.

If you feel like looking into it... and you have good mechanical skills.... pop off both heads, and post up a pic.

I would love to fix this myself but I think it is out of my league changing spark plugs is my most advanced repair im more of a electrician then mechanic :p

how much would a trade in of a boat like this be do you think?

I would love to fix this myself but I think it is out of my league changing spark plugs is my most advanced repair im more of a electrician then mechanic :p

how much would a trade in of a boat like this be do you think?

Unfortunately... with a blown engine, there isn't any "trade value" in it. If its SUPER clean, you may get a $1k from the right buyer. The prob is, the boat in very clean and running condition is worth $7k to $9k. But, to pay a shop to install a new powerhead will cost almost that much.

If you do your own labor, it can probably be fixed for $2k or less.

Ok so I pulled the plugs and shot some wd40 in all the holes and the piston got free and the fly wheel moves with ez now

uploadfromtaptalk1390402994618.jpg
So one of my plugs looked like this.

On a good note after freeing the flywheel and a new sparkplug the boat turns on but makes a knocking sound so something is still wrong.

From the sounds of things you will likely need a rebuild. As mentioned above. If you can provide the labor you will save substantial money.

It is probably a rod knock you are hearing. In the best of cases you are looking at a crank and all new bearings. But I would be shocked if you didn't need some rods and piston work.

You won't know until you open it all up.

Unfortunately that motor is toast now, best not to try running it to avoid further damage and added cost. Yank it out and ship it somewhere for a remanufactured one. You're gonna need some tools, maybe get some help from a pal who knows marine engines.

Or, go get another boat but used 2-stroke is just that and a reman gets you a zero-hour motor. The chevy powered mercruisers will run forever, they never wear out if operated with sanity. They only break for other reasons, usually neglect.

Jets have an advantage in shallow water operation, less likely to strike submerged objects, too. This is why I run a jet boat, I have two.

Edit: That plug one the left looks like it has aluminum deposits all over the electrodes, that means the piston overheated and melted. There will also be aluminum puddles stuck on the cylinder walls which will interfere with compression ring sealing. Your motor needs a complete rebuild. Find someone who knows what they're doing, must not be a shadetree mechanic with a bag of craftsman hand tools, must be marine machine shop familiar with that motor, usually a warranteed reman from a reputable marine engine remanufacturer is the best option.

View attachment 23532
So one of my plugs looked like this.

On a good note after freeing the flywheel and a new sparkplug the boat turns on but makes a knocking sound so something is still wrong.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKK !!!! DO NOT TRY TO RUN IT !!!!!!!

Right now... with a little love, it could be rebuilt. Heck... you may get away with a hone, and new piston. (cheap) But, if you run it with a meted piston (that's aluminum stuck to the spark plug) you will destroy the cyl, rod, bearings and crank. AND, possibly throw a rod, and blow a hole in the block. At that point, most shops won't even take it as a core for a rebuild.

........ Find someone who knows what they're doing, must not be a shadetree mechanic with a bag of craftsman hand tools, must be marine machine shop familiar with that motor, ....................

Why no shade-tree??? That's what this board is all about. Heck... I set the new cyl sleeve in my Merc, right in my kitchen oven.

377.jpg

378.jpg

Well after I got it free it felt fine but once I turned it on for a min I cut it off caz anything past idle made sounds

I'm going to take it to a shop next to my storage unit see what they say

Why no shade-tree??? That's what this board is all about. Heck... I set the new cyl sleeve in my Merc, right in my kitchen oven.

377.jpg

378.jpg

I think you're going to need more than just a pair of Kleins and a set of nut drivers to do this job right, LOL. Nice oven, show us your maytag parts washer?

I love the write up you did but also what scared me in thinking I can't fix this my self lol

The oil tank in the engine is fed via pressure. So, if you forgot to put the fill cap back on the main tank.... it would not have not fed the engine. So, unfortunately, you probably roasted the engine from lack of oil.
Sorry

I did not know this. You would think that if the oil cap is that important it would be flagged all over literature and even in the engine bay. What is unclear to me what caused the the engine to freeze. Is whether the OP failed to to put on the cap? or is it because he did not put oil in it?

3 gal tank was full which was why cap was off Caz I fill it every time I put gas in. Iv heard horror stories about oil wish I premixed now. But ya no oil goes from the big tank to the small if the cap is off.

I see so the big tank was full but the small tank empty. Hmmmm I still think they should properly warn as I can see this being easily overlooked.

It is. There should be a red sticker around the fill neck with a warning, and its in the manuals multiple times. (warnings on damaging the engine)

But..... the real issue is... there is a warning buzzer that should have kicked on when the small tank got down about half way.

So the moral of the story is.... make sure your warning buzzer is working. FYI. The Merc Seadoo's have 2 buzzers. And, I just changed one of mine last season. So they do go bad.

well found my prob the sensor on my engine tank was jumpered so that the alarm wouldn't go off. apparently because the sensor is broken and even if the tank is full the alarm still goes off so the shorted it to make it go off, so this is why I had no warning :(

is there a way to SAFELY test the buzzers? I don't know if I have ever heard mine

Yes, please test your buzzer(s), these alarm checks are probably the most often overlooked preventive maintenance items. There are other numerous other maintenance items procedures in the shop service manuals, I think you need a copy of this manual to read through assuming you DYI maintenance for your boats!

On the Merc's, the system buzzer should sound when you first turn on the key. (while the warning light is on) If you don't hear it, and the light is on the fuel gauge.., there is a high probability that it needs replaced. But the quick test is... with the key on... ground the wire that is on the water separator. It should trip the alarm after a few seconds.

The other tests are... pull up the sender on the oil tank, and heat up the port side head temp sender.

Those are the three main things to verify, but that buzzer will also give you ECU error sounds.

The buzzer mounted to the bottom of the helm is the "sea doo" buzzer. It will sound on things like low voltage and low fuel. Its also easy to check. With the key on, and engine off.., turn on EVERYTHING. (blower, pump, all lights, etc.) that should put enough load on the battery to trip that buzzer.

But... it is VERY IMPORTANT to check the warning buzzers, and senders once in a while.

As a final fyi... the "oil" light on the sea doo gauge is not necessarily the oil warning. Its actually a screw up from sea doo. It should be labeled as a bell, and its the general warning light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back