Utopia 250efi dead

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
well finally heard back from my mechanic and he is saying i need a remanufactured engine and is quoting 6400 out the door...

Sure he did. Most profit, and lowest labor.

Get it back from him, and check it yourself. You may be able to get it going with a hone, and a new piston.

I went and got it back today crazy ice storm came in today and my boat is frozen solid lol poor thing never gets left out side :p any ways what do i need to take the motor out of the boat?

should i run a compression test before i take out the motor or can i do that once the motor is out?

You can if you like... but I'm sure you have a melted piston. Just pop the heads and look at the damage.

I can't see the pic you posted. The attachment didn't work for some reason.

BUT... if your engine is still standard size, and the cyl bore isn't totally destroyed... I have some good used OEM pistons sitting in my shop. (going cheap)

It may get you another season without doing a full rebuild.

gioakjoe

I live in TX also and i could help you with this if you like... i just pulled my merc250 not long ago, and i tough it was gonna be a nightmare but they are not bad at all they just look complicated...make sure you grab a gasket kit bc you gonna need it....also Dr. Honda is the man he knows his stuff..he helped me a lot last years with my boat troubles and if he says go that way just go with it, he right all the time :)

Thanks for the pat on the back.

Yep... that bottom piston is ugly. You have the newer engine. Let me verify the part numbers... but if you want to just get it running again... I may have a used piston for you.

ya Im interested in the piston its S #5. Do you think the head is still good its looks pretty bad idk if i could file it down or leave it be or get new head cover?

Yep... the head is fine. just use some emery paper, or a jewler's file to take off any sharp points.

I will check on the pistons in a few.

ok well its all taken apart now just deciding what I'm going to do. do i buy the cylinder kit off boats.net and what does that even come with? do I buy the rebuild kit that comes with all the gaskets and cylinders? I know I have to buy all the gaskets caz mine didn't look like they survived very well being taken apart. So i think my best buy would be the rebuild kit. do you have a link for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize that all of this is bad news, but it could have been considerably worse based on what you are finding.

Doc will steer you right for sure and he will e honest about it. Good luck with it all...

The rebuild kit doesn't come with cyl liners. That is not a trivial thing to change out. The rebuild kit comes with pistons, some bearings, seals, and gaskets. If a cyl has a deep scratch, or other damage... then you need to send the block out to be bored and honed before buying the replacement parts.

My suggestion if you need to have a cylinder rebored, is have the machine shop inspect the cylinder sleeve and tell you which oversize piston to purchase, prior to boring. This way, the machinist can measure the new piston prior to boring then bore the sleeve accordingly, so the final clearance fit will be correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
10155785_10100404985080444_570025383361801772_n.jpg
found a hole under piston 6 so i guess #5 came down and sent metal threw the block into piston 6 so at this point I'm going to get a rebuilt motor :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back