08 Challenger 230 NEED HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbosl2

Just picked up a 08 230 430hp. I am looking for a shop manual for the boat with wiring diagrams, as well as engine manuals.

Here is what i am most concerned about right now.

• All the gauge bezels are yellow and spider cracked. I cannot see any of the gauges. I think i can bring the 2 engine gauges (battery...etc) back to life but the Tachometers are shot. The speedo i plan to replace with a chinese amazon GPS one. It worked well on my challenger 1800.
    • Does anyone sell replacement bezels. The gauge is no longer available
  • The steering is so stiff i can barely turn the wheel. I have a new shift cable on order but i am worried its the HELM
  • None of the rocker switches do anything. No running lights, nothing. Its all dead but one, the one that lights up the cup holders and deck lights...of which only 3 work . I do not even know which ones are supposed to do what.
  • The engine start switches were replaced with what i believe are the incorrect swtiches because they are blue not red. They are on or off and when turned off do not stop the engines. You have to pull the DESS key.
    • Does anyone know what type of switch belongs here. I was planning to order one on amazon and not thru SEA DOO. e.g. is it a momentary double pole double thro>...etc
  • The plastic woodgrain dash is all white and chalky
  • I was told the port engines thermostat popped off and they were able to put it back on...not sure how that would happen. I have not even craweled in the boat to inspect.
    • Both engine do start up and run
  • Surge brake 2" tongue was removed and replaced with a 2-5/16. Brake line was cut, meaning no brakes on trailer. I have the old tongue and plan to repair that over the summer. (last on my list here since its a short trip to drop it in the lake at the dock...just towed it 200miles with a 2500HD and really didnt need them but i dont want to use it that way. To dangerous)
  • Impellors and wear rings look good, rings are new.
  • I need to change the oil. I have the kits coming but how do i remove from the engine, syphon thru dipstick?
  • Superchargers...no time for that this summer, yes i know the story here. Had the similar motor in my jet ski. Its on the list (long list as you can tell)
  • Anchor hatch is missing, that one cost me $250 with the lift strut, lid and latch...ouch
  • Seats are mildewed. Wife is trying to get all the stains out but that's not going so well.
    • Rear flip up seats are torn due to the tow bar being left up and ripping the cushion. I have a guy making new if i send the patterns (life savor).
      • Does anyone make a complete interior kit. I install these myself with Monul SS staples. Fairly simple if i can get the covers.
  • Jet drives are coming off tomorrow, need the room to replace the steering cable anyway. What is the fluid that you guys use in them. I believe in my skis it was 75w90? Cant remember.
  • How hard is it to replace the carbon seals? I have done it on 3 skis with 947DI motors. That was fairly simple. Remove the pump, pull the shaft back and remove the clip, remove shaft, reassemble. Only takes me 1-1.5hrs on those. This looks pretty dam tight in there and i am not even sure if its the same process.
  • Should i replace the plugs? If so does anyone know the part numbers?

That's about all i know right now after having the boat for 5hrs. LoL. Looking for some help on these items above then i will move on to the other stuff. Normally i start with the shop manual. but i dont have that. The owners manual is completely useless. says "Dealer" for anything that's important.

I have a website bookmarked on my computer for the rocker switches and will get that to you. Also could be some fuses blown.
Yes, suck oil out the dipstick tube. YouTube “4-tec oil change”, there’s a bunch of them and it’s the same procedure for the boat as the skis. I replaced spark plugs when I did oil change. There are some pics and info here from when I did mine last weekend: https://www.seadooforum.com/threads/winter-projects-2021-what-are-you-doing-planning-to-do.114211/

JetArmor might have the full interior kit. I think I have a link on my computer too.
Dilute some chlorine bleach in water and spray/mop the mildew areas and let sit (in the sun even better). If it’s heavy, scrub as much off as you can with soap and water and a scrub brush, then hit it with the bleach. Rinse well and repeat as needed. Marine stores probably have some mildew specific cleaners too (or Amazon).
The other stuff I don’t know or haven’t looked in to, so good luck and let us know how you make out

I have a website bookmarked on my computer for the rocker switches and will get that to you. Also could be some fuses blown.
Yes, suck oil out the dipstick tube. YouTube “4-tec oil change”, there’s a bunch of them and it’s the same procedure for the boat as the skis. I replaced spark plugs when I did oil change. There are some pics and info here from when I did mine last weekend: https://www.seadooforum.com/threads/winter-projects-2021-what-are-you-doing-planning-to-do.114211/

JetArmor might have the full interior kit. I think I have a link on my computer too.
Dilute some chlorine bleach in water and spray/mop the mildew areas and let sit (in the sun even better). If it’s heavy, scrub as much off as you can with soap and water and a scrub brush, then hit it with the bleach. Rinse well and repeat as needed. Marine stores probably have some mildew specific cleaners too (or Amazon).
The other stuff I don’t know or haven’t looked in to, so good luck and let us know how you make out
Thank you this will help. I am working on it right now. I am watching the video right now. I will report back on the bleach idea later today.

Thank you! I left them a facebook message. This may be a dumb question but again i dont have a shop manual yet. Is there oil in the jet pumps that needs to be serviced? My 03 XPDI and 03 Challenger (Sportjet) both had oil in the jet pump stator that needed to be changed. Is this the same? All i can see from the internet is grease...

Jet armor doesn’t do kits for the 230, I asked a month ago and they replied. :(.

For the jet pumps, I’m rebuilding mine and going to convert from grease to oil based on some forum posts about better protection. They had recommended Royal Purple 75-140 gear oil.

One thing to try in the seats is some simple green at full concentration and a soft scouring pad. Has done wonders for us cleaning hard to get dirt/grime and sun tan lotion etc out.

Jet armor doesn’t do kits for the 230, I asked a month ago and they replied. :(.

For the jet pumps, I’m rebuilding mine and going to convert from grease to oil based on some forum posts about better protection. They had recommended Royal Purple 75-140 gear oil.

One thing to try in the seats is some simple green at full concentration and a soft scouring pad. Has done wonders for us cleaning hard to get dirt/grime and sun tan lotion etc out.

So they do take grease in the new ones…hmm. It’s coming along. 2 rear seats I sent to a guy on eBay to remake the covers. Pulled the carpet, right in the trash. Hydro turf on its way. Not one gauge works. They are shot. 64254664199__0E37DD59-7E29-4D2B-9A9B-4D120759E83F.JPG64254662273__B4F1D785-8A30-495A-922D-B8469347EE27.JPG64254666054__5674F036-4B7A-4E86-A05E-65AF2228BED4.JPG64254668731__DC153FF3-CC2F-45D5-8325-AC0AA4A9B7F4.JPGImage1620854924.368983.jpg

I like it! I looked at a nice 230 before I bought my 180. Out of my budget and probably too big for me for at least another year or two. But that’s a good sized boat, with factory tower and Bimini...very nice! Good thing you’re handy and not afraid to tear into it!

I like it! I looked at a nice 230 before I bought my 180. Out of my budget and probably too big for me for at least another year or two. But that’s a good sized boat, with factory tower and Bimini...very nice! Good thing you’re handy and not afraid to tear into it!
Thanks man. Yes it was a decent deal. The electrical is a mess. The hull is pristine and it seems to run well (on the trailer). I am going to change the oil and plugs per your video. Just sanded and clear coated the plastic woodgrain dash. Removed all the guages. Everything is green behind them. Ordered 2 new tachs ($748 ouch). Hopefully sea doo can still make them. Went with a 3-3/8 GPS speedo from amazon for $69. Ordering the rocker switches you sent earlier.

They say Bust Out Another Thousand, which is partly true, but if you’re decently handy and know how to search YouTube, you can really do most anything. Having the right tools helps too. And it saves you tons of money. And the other saying: “if it floats, flies if F’s, you’re better off renting” only holds true for boats if you buy new and can’t do the work yourself. I bought a 13 year old boat, put a little work and money into it, and have great family focused entertainment venue for many years that if it sunk tomorrow, I wouldn’t have a massive loan or be out tons of money. So I don’t worry about it being showroom quality, or not as big as someone else’s, or worry about gassing it up or paying slip fees. It’s an incredibly fun hobby, learning experience and all around great time. it might take some extra Google searches, forum hunting and hard work, but it’s worth every penny. And it’s fun! My wife says my happy place is “on the water”. So true. I’m thankful for this forum and all you guys too! Keep us abreast of your situation and how you make out!

So they do take grease in the new ones…hmm. It’s coming along. 2 rear seats I sent to a guy on eBay to remake the covers. Pulled the carpet, right in the trash. Hydro turf on its way. Not one gauge works. They are shot.

Yep Grease, but after bunch of research including this http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174231&page=3 I’m going to change to oil in the pump.

Good call on the carpet, I actually have mine rolled up in the garage, I need to see if anyone wants it or throw it. Went SeaDek for ours and couldn’t be happier.

How bad is the guy charging on eBay for the seats? I have a couple that are getting to end of life.

Almost sounds like it was submerged. With the green behind the gauges and the yellowing like that, along with mildew embedded in seats etc. the hull looks great and really dig the graphics. It’ll be a killer boat when you’re done. Spent a month requiring mine a couple years ago. Get yourself a set of fish sticks from h freight, well worth the $10. Made running new wires a lot easier.

If you need wiring stuff I can shoot pics and send the wiring schematic from the repair manual, same if you need a specific area etc.

Yep Grease, but after bunch of research including this http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=174231&page=3 I’m going to change to oil in the pump.

Good call on the carpet, I actually have mine rolled up in the garage, I need to see if anyone wants it or throw it. Went SeaDek for ours and couldn’t be happier.

How bad is the guy charging on eBay for the seats? I have a couple that are getting to end of life.

Almost sounds like it was submerged. With the green behind the gauges and the yellowing like that, along with mildew embedded in seats etc. the hull looks great and really dig the graphics. It’ll be a killer boat when you’re done. Spent a month requiring mine a couple years ago. Get yourself a set of fish sticks from h freight, well worth the $10. Made running new wires a lot easier.

If you need wiring stuff I can shoot pics and send the wiring schematic from the repair manual, same if you need a specific area etc.
Sea Doo Upholstery in Fort Lauderdale Florida. They did my seat covers in my 03 challenger. It was very reasonable. The two rear seats are huge on this 230 and they were $100 each. I thought that was reasonable. The dam post office charged me $22 a seat to mail them (44 total) so they have the pattern. They had the patterns for the 1800 challenger but not this one.

I have those yellow fish sticks from HF. lol. Can you send me pictures of the wiring diagram. I actually just purchased the manual online and its from 2007 but covers this model (blue cover) but it has NO wiring diagrams!!. WTH. Page 389 section 11 says refer to the end of this manual...but its only blank notes pages. I will PM you. If you could send those over i would be very grateful. I am sitting in my lawn chair all stop because without a wiring diagram i will be here until winter :).

Have you ever replaced your carbon seal? Every jet ski i had the carbon ring leaked and i replaced. I have the pumps off now but it looks REAL tight in there and i cant see the driveshaft like the skis, lol.

Have you ever replaced your carbon seal? Every jet ski i had the carbon ring leaked and i replaced. I have the pumps off now but it looks REAL tight in there and i cant see the driveshaft like the skis, lol.

Yeah I did last year, was a real pain the butt too. Probably would have been easier if I spent the several hundred $$ in tools and did that way. I got it done, but with the pain it was I’ll pay someone to do if needs again.

How did the steering problem go? I have hard steering and can't get it go all the way?

Last year it was bad at the start of the season but got better once in the water. This year it is so bad that I will not launch.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
2008 Challenger 230
Dave

How did the steering problem go? I have hard steering and can't get it go all the way?

Last year it was bad at the start of the season but got better once in the water. This year it is so bad that I will not launch.

2008 Challenger 230
Dave
The new cable went it and it’s smooth as butter. Can turn it with one hand. Really easy install since you can lift the seat cushions and route the cable up to the helm

2008 Challenger 230
Dave
Yours probably looks like this. Both my cables were bad. The shifter cable the sleeve was rusted and broken. The steering the sleeve was rusted and was binding C25746CC-A7E7-4005-B625-86FB913B359E.jpeg

Attachments

• D394807D-4DC6-40A8-B327-A0B220262099.jpeg
    D394807D-4DC6-40A8-B327-A0B220262099.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks,
Wow, that boat has had a lot of use. No, mine doesn't look anything like that. I keep mine on the trailer and launch whenever I go out or go to Lake George.
I had the steering cable replaced by Dutchess Recreational Vehicles in Poughkeepsie NY for $750 last week.
All is working now.
I'm 75 and it is getting harder to do the wrenching by myself these days.

Think I see the problem. A small cut in the seal. I don't know how that could have happened.

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 12
  • boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Rust2.JPG
    Rust2.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Rust1.JPG
    Rust1.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Looks real clean. Where did you get the covers?
Interesting dock. How do you get on and off it?
No headaches of rebuilding the superchargers every 200 hours. That is around a $2000 expense. And you get better mileage, I assume. I thought about taking them off, but I'm not sure how the performance would be.

Last edited:
I had the covers made last year by a local guy, $1800 for the covers made from scratch. The dock is called jetdock and I just drive up on it, then use a winch and pulleys to reverse it off enough to where the drives are in the water. Once the drives are in water I start the boat and reverse off. I'm thrilled to not have superchargers, the power would be nice, but I'd rather have the reliability of the non supercharged engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back