Used RXPX what did I buy, it leaks, plus corrosion and cut marks on jet pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spx1997

I just bought a 2008 RXPX with 55 hours, I was told there was nothing wrong with it now I'm not so sure. It seems to run very strong out of the hole and up to 68 mph

It leaks, on flat water no tricks performed. A few inches of water after 45 minutes mostly on plane. What should I check next?
1: I've check the bailers and the clear tubes that go up into a U, I've replaced the plastic ties with metal clamps at the U not sure how to get to the clamps in the very back of the ski
2: I've tightened up the exhaust cooling system clamps

There looks to be strange cut marks on the jet pump casing on the top two bolt holes (see pic). Are the cut marks suppose to be there? It also appears to be the wrong bolt lengths since they are tight before they are flush with the housing.

The jet pump paint is flaking off, I didn't think much of it but internal components paint is also flaking, and There are water spots on tubing. What do think you happened to this ski? Is there anything I should check prior to continuing to run the ski?

Attachments

• IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    861 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    738.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    835.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
put some water in the hull on the trailer and see where it is leaking out from. Also, check the carbon seal for leaks while in the water.

That flaking is typically an indicator of salt water riding and not thoroughly rinsing the salt water off the machine after each ride. Not a big issue from
the pics you showed but an indicator of previous use

Have another look inside the hull. You could see similar white corrosion on bolt heads, clamps etc but not to the extent of the jet drive.

Salt water usage is not a deal killer per se but as I say, an indication of previous use, maintenance on the ski not being done 100%. If the system
is not flushed as well, depending on the amount of hours in salt could lead to some issues down the road.

Not sure of the cut line. I'd have to look at mine to compare.

As far as the leak - does it leak while just sitting in the water? That's an indicator of perhaps the plugs being dried out and maybe a tiny crack in one or both (happened
to me - easy fix); one of the two small plastic tubes in your jet drive could be missing (will draw in water when running), the carbon seal as mentioned, or possibly even the OPAS system has a leak
of some sort.

i'd be suspicious of the carbon seal leaking, my 08 leaked as well, quite a bit, bought an entire new assembly.

also 2x check the rear motor mounts, I had 3 08's in a row that had at least one bad mount, which leads to CS leakage and rusty driveshafts.

I've checked two of the engine mounts and they seem fine. The third one will require some disassembly to get to along with checking the carbon filter. Do you guys remove the engine cover? I didn't want to pull it off and wreck to seal if I didn't have to.

Was anyone able to verify if the cuts in the jet drive casing is suppose to be there?

The "cut" in picture #2 appears to be a crack, almost looks as if someone over torqued the bolt and cracked the aluminum casing.
Does anyone else see what I am describing, and does it look like a crack to you too?

I just added picture 4 which shows the same cut on the left side. Can the ski be safely run? I don't want to do damage but I'm going on vacation this weekend and was hoping to use the ski.

It looks solid enough, but I just took a flashlight and went outside to look at my brothers '09 GTI. It might be a different design, but the impeller housing where the Venturi bolts onto is solid all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back