URGENT HELP Please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay Cruiser

Help Please. Just heard of a friend who has wrecked his engine after being towed and not pinching the water inlet pipe and leaving it for a while sitting. I am out again in 22 hours time and would like to know what pipe it is that you close down just in case.

It says the one from the impeller housing to the engine but there are two going from the impeller housing one on the left (looking from the back of the ski) and one on the right that both lead up to the engine. The one on the right from the impeller housing (again looking from the back of the ski) goes to the left of the engine or as marked 1 in the photo. 1 also has a T-junction with a smaller pipe leading off it. I think it’s that one that needs to be blocked between the impeller housing and the T-junction. Is this right.

Can anyone tell me if it is pipe 1 or 2 as per the photo please.

Tubes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that was quick, thanks for your help. I will make up a pincher before I go out. Hopefully will never need it but you never know !!

An easy way to remember is to look at the cooling line going in. It has no temp sensor as it enters the engine, because it would read cold compared to the water temp leaving the engine.

Karl

towing

Am I correct in assuming that this line only needs to be pinched if towing backwards? I towed one of my skis last week with another when the battery died but towed it frontward at only about 10 mph. I'm wondering why would anyone tow backward because is seems like that would create so much more drag, even going forward it felt like I was pulling an anchor?

Backwards? The jet pump forces cooling water into the engine as it is running or if towed, due to water passing through the Jet Pump assy. That's why the engine is always rotating the impeller when it is started to insure it is "Pumping" water into the cooling lines and why you need to attach it to a garden hose when not in the water as a substitute with no water in the Jet Pump assy.

Karl

I figured it was a stupid question but thanks for the explanation. I've only had my skis 2 yrs so still a newbie, but between reading through the manual and the help from you guys (and just reading posts) I've learned an incredible amount in a short period (but still ask stupid questions). This is a great forum and if any newbie does not have the shop manual I highly recommend getting it. I've done alot of work on my skis, that you guys would consider routine, (changed the fuel lines, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the RAVEs and several other small things) that I would not have had a clue of how to do without you guys, so while I'm still learning I appreciate you tollerating the "stupid" questions. THANKS!

PS

ps, my stupid question came from my misunderstanding that the danger was from water getting forced into the engine through the exhaust if towed backwards. I'm pretty sure I saw a post a couple months ago that someone towed theirs backward and flooded the engine, but I often see purple elephants walking thru my living room too so I could be wrong. Everyone knows elephants are gray not purple!

An easy way to remember is to look at the cooling line going in. It has no temp sensor as it enters the engine, because it would read cold compared to the water temp leaving the engine.

Karl

Read'n it that way could work with that motor (800), but what about the 720...?

So are you guys saying that if I tow forward, no problem, but if being towed backwards pinch the pipe. Sorry to be stupid but not sure I understand the above comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foward Towing over 15 MPH bad unless hoses are pinched

I understand it to be a problem in forward if you go over 15 MPH you will force water into the engine unless you pinch the hoses. I think if you just limp at 5 - 10 MPH you should be OK.

wouldnt tow it backwards, chief..think ur ask'n for trouble. Clamp/pinch line #1, and you'll be good, or undo the clamp, and let hose dangle outside the ski.

Wouldn't fancy being towed backwards if I'm honest ! Made a clamp up and will use it on hose #1 - hopefully will never have the need. Off out now.
Thanks

Just Lucky

I towed my 2000 GTS for 3 years behind my cruiser at 30MPH without the hose pinched, and never had a problem. It was abou 30foot behind my prop wash. Don't see my self doing this with my 01's, figure I'll start pinching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back